Venting a replacement stove into existing pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyB

May 27, 2009
Southern NH
Hello, I am hoping that someone out there might be able to help me out with a venting question. I just replaced an Englander EP with a Castle Serenity. The venting thru the wall is currently about 16" from the floor, the exhaust outlet on the serenity is about 8". I'd like to avoid cutting a new hole in the wall but at the same time I really don't want to put the serenity up on an 8" hearth. Can I use a clean out T and a 90 to get up to the outside exhaust? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes,on most stoves you can,check your manual.it will tell you the EVL,which is lengths and number of elbows allowed,Also,does not have to be vertical,can have an angle,in case you need to offset the new stove,which also makes cap easier to get off the T.

Reactions: Overfireinthehole
Yes,on most stoves you can,check your manual.it will tell you the EVL,which is lengths and number of elbows allowed,Also,does not have to be vertical,can have an angle,in case you need to offset the new stove,which also makes cap easier to get off the T.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will check the manual and the EVL. Also, thanks for the info on the angle of the T, that is great to know and will probably make it all easier.

Hello, I am hoping that someone out there might be able to help me out with a venting question. I just replaced an Englander EP with a Castle Serenity. The venting thru the wall is currently about 16" from the floor, the exhaust outlet on the serenity is about 8". I'd like to avoid cutting a new hole in the wall but at the same time I really don't want to put the serenity up on an 8" hearth. Can I use a clean out T and a 90 to get up to the outside exhaust? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Just went through this same situation and didnt want the raised hearth either. Ended up doing it anyway as i wanted less bends in the piping. My hearth is 9" up and actually really like it.

Just went through this same situation and didnt want the raised hearth either. Ended up doing it anyway as i wanted less bends in the piping. My hearth is 9" up and actually really like it.
Thanks for the info. I haven't checked the bends and done the math so I might end up with the higher hearth. Good to know that you like it. Thanks