Q&A Venting a wood burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I want to put a wood burning fireplace in my basement. I took out an old boiler which was vented to a masonry chimney approx. 8-10 inches in diameter. Can I use this old chimney which runs up through the walls and above the roof to vent a wood burning fireplace? If not, due you have any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Answer:

Chances are that you can use the chimney IF:

you install a freestanding fireplace or wood stove which requires the same size or smaller diameter chimney.

DO NOT TRY TO:

Install a masonry fireplace or pre-fab zero clearance fireplace into this chimney

ALSO: Make certain the chimney has a terra cotta (tile) liner...if not, you can line it with a stainless steel pipe.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.