Venting and type of stove pipe for max efficiency. Newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rsplodge

Apr 28, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hello:

I just bought an Enviro Mini that I would like to install at my cottage. I have some questions on the requirements for the venting/flue. I did do a bit of search through the forums but didn't really find my answers.

First of all, are all pellet stove pipes insulated with an air gap? Is one allowed to use a non insulated (single wall) pipe coming out the back and if so, for what distance?

It would seem that for maximum efficiency, if I can afford the room, it would be good to have a decent distance of (likely vertical) pipe inside the room before I exit the wall. If this section was non-insulated then would it not radiate some of the heat back into the room instead of sending all that excess heat outside? Using insulated pipe seems counter-intuitive to me for efficiency reasons but I understand it for safety reasons. Perhaps the speed of air-flow is such that you don't really get much heat gain out of an uninsulated exhaust pipe(?)

My cottage is sort of a split-level design and the area in which I'm doing the installation has a concrete wall all the way to the first floor ceiling. If I am exiting through a concrete wall, do I need a thimble?

I think I did see some posts where people intentionally switchbacked uninsulated pipe for a significant distance before going out the exterior wall, in order to improve heat transfer. I guess this could cause back-pressure though and prevent a decent exhaust.

Thanks, ..Roger

Pellet pipe by design is insulated. I’m not even sure you could find a non insulated pipe that would couple with pellet pipe. I think the amount of heat that you would gain/lose in the insulated vs non-insulated is negligible.

Follow the recommendations in the owners manual.

Pellet pipe by design is insulated. I’m not even sure you could find a non insulated pipe that would couple with pellet pipe. I think the amount of heat that you would gain/lose in the insulated vs non-insulated is negligible.

Follow the recommendations in the owners manual.

Ok thanks. I guess maybe I had seen some sort of funky heat-exchanger post that had got me thinking, and I also did see some stove pipe kit which included a couple of lengths of non insulated pipe (but can't find that link now).

What about the exit through the cement wall? Do I need a thimble. I'm not sure my owners manual showed that scenario.

...Roger

Thanks. I have that manual and had looked at it. However, I had seen some posts where people tried to create some sort of heat exchanger or single wall pipe inside which I guess is some funky-not-recommended technique! Also this manual doesn't quite say what to do if you want to go through a concrete wall (at least I don't think it does). I would think a thimble is not required and is an additional expense although it probably provides for a neater job. I have now found a few posts in this forum about going through concrete.
I've found someone selling some 4" excel pellet stove pipes on Kijiji so will probably pick that up.
Ok anyway all good and thanks for the help.