Q&A Venting Gas Stoves / Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My chimney occasionally reverses flow, particularly when it gets cold outside. I'd like to replace my existing gas fireplace with a new gas stove and want to insure my new system vents properly. The fireplace is in a finished basement, the chimney is on an outside wall and there are two 90 degree bends in the venting. Will B-vent correct this down draft problem? How about direct vent through the chimney? Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer:

Direct venting is almost sure to correct the problem. B-Vent may have the same problem as before. Direct vent is a balanced system with air coming in and out...it almost HAS to work. Of course, you have to install the vent according to the manufacturers instruction..and many do not allow 2- 90 degrees..but some do. Try Heat n' Glo at http://www.heatnglo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.