Venting options for propane fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MGMcCoy

Mar 30, 2023
Central Texas
I am new to fireplace construction, but a DIY. I am building a new home, it will be very tight with foam insulation. Probably doesn't need a fireplace for heating, but I want one for ambiance. I don't care for the way glass doors on a fireplace look, and would prefer an open look. This will need to be a Propane burning setup. However, due to how tight this house is, I would like to vent from outside air. Being new construction, I have flexibility now to do anything. My question is; can a B-vent style fireplace be made to draw air for combustion from outside the home? Everything I look at has direct vent with sealed glass (we don't like the look) that vents from outside, or B-Vent with no glass but uses inside air only for combustion (house is tight). Is there an option where an open gas fireplace has an air vent to the outside so that pressures between outside and inside stay equalized without making it look like a pizza oven? I would prefer a coaxial vent setup as my fireplace will be on an internal wall. Any advice?

Last edited:
I am new to fireplace construction, but a DIY. I am building a new home, it will be very tight with foam insulation. Probably doesn't need a fireplace for heating, but I want one for ambiance. I don't care for the way glass doors on a fireplace look, and would prefer an open look. This will need to be a Propane burning setup. However, due to how tight this house is, I would like to vent from outside air. Being new construction, I have flexibility now to do anything. My question is; can a B-vent style fireplace be made to draw air for combustion from outside the home? Everything I look at has direct vent with sealed glass (we don't like the look) that vents from outside, or B-Vent with no glass but uses inside air only for combustion (house is tight). Is there an option where an open gas fireplace has an air vent to the outside so that pressures between outside and inside stay equalized without making it look like a pizza oven? I would prefer a coaxial vent setup as my fireplace will be on an internal wall. Any advice?
No an open fireplace needs to be built to code to burn wood. Then put a gas log set in it. The only option for b vent or direct vent will be a closed unit

HeatnGlo has the Phoenix TruView. It is an open faced unit with a power vent and a damper. It has an optional Outside Air kit for additional combustion air(it will still take the majority of combustion air from the room). WE have installed this unit into tightly sealed homes and have not had any issues.

Golden Blount has a new open faced B Vent unit with a damper. I don't have any first hand experience with this one.

Reactions: bholler
HeatnGlo has the Phoenix TruView. It is an open faced unit with a power vent and a damper. It has an optional Outside Air kit for additional combustion air(it will still take the majority of combustion air from the room). WE have installed this unit into tightly sealed homes and have not had any issues.

Golden Blount has a new open faced B Vent unit with a damper. I don't have any first hand experience with this one

Thanks for the leads, I will check those out. What I see of the Heat & Glo looks like what I want. I think as long as it has an external vent of some sort it will work better in my situation. I have requested a quote, hoping they will be more reasonable than the D-vent.

Reactions: Lennox65