Venting Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Hello everyone... ok, so I've had to modify my plans for a stove a few times but I think I have a great solution. My question to you all is with venting... I see that most stoves vent directly up from the stove, or use a 90 elbow shortly from the back of the stove and then up... can the stove be vented directly from the back out a wall and THEN up? Ie, no upward venting within the house? So, essentially, you are looking at a stove 7 - 15" from the wall with the vent going from the back of the stove directly out through the wall, and then a 90 degree elbow UP to vent directly up the side of the house (outside)...

Any thoughts?

Yes you can. If you do, it's really important to keep the horizontal run as short as possible and for it to be pitched up hill at least 1/4" per foot of horiz. run. Some stoves will work better than others with this arrangement. Some stoves are helped by a bit of a vertical run off the stove first. Another alternative is to put a 45 on the stove and a diagonally vertical run, then another 45 into the wall thimble. This type of setup usually draws pretty well if there is enough exterior flue connected.

But if you can possibly head straight up from the stove in the interior of the house, you will get a better performing flue.

So you mean you go 45 degrees off the stove and then horizontal through the wall and then 90 dgrees upward? I'm hoping that the total horizontal run would be 5 feet or less.

45 elbow attached to the stove, then a diagonal connector pipe, then another 45 deg elbow connected to the thimble which ties into the cleanout tee outside.

What stove will this be connected to?

Gotcha. I am thinking a Hampton H300. I'm not 100% sure, but that is the one I'm leaning towards. I'm hoping to get installed in the next few months, but I can wait if there is a delay. This is a long-term solution so I want to make sure we do the installation that makes the most sense for our house. If it isn't until February that is ok too.

So you are suggesting something like this:

stoveillustration.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's the configuration BG was suggesting...although his use of the phrase "diagonally vertical" had me stumped for a minute. %-P It's very important that you angle that horizontal run upwards on its way out the best you can (thus, no longer exactly horizontal). The outside chimney would ideally be insulated pipe inside an insulated chase...once that exhaust stream leaves the stove, you want to keep it as warm as you can until it gets to daylight out the cap...minimizes condensation of the evil creosote. Rick

Something like that, or like this to bring the stove a bit closer to the wall. You might also look at a Jotul Oslo and a Hearthstone Shelburne for price and availability. They are good alternatives.

Attachments

• stoveillustration.jpg
    stoveillustration.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 188
I looked at the Shelburne, but I'm a little partial to the soapstone stoves from Hearthstone. I was thinking about the Heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.