venting pellet stove (europa 75) into unlined masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info guys.

Stove tech will be out Wednesday to take a peek. Gonna wait and see what the verdict is. This is same company that installed the europa in the basement so hopefully have SOME knowledge about the stove. Have 1-2 other options if second opinion needed/wanted.

Will keep everyone posted.

we ran one of those as a display into a round clay liner (7") for well over a year as a display model. Burned fine.. and we used 4" singlewall stovepipe to vent it. Didn't smoke, either.

in a perfect world, the europa will stay in the basement and we can find a way to keep the wood stove running on the 1st floor. I fear that's going to be an expensive fix but thinking more and more it's going to be worth it.

"My guess is exit temps are 200-300F so no problem there." That may be true for a wood stove but not for a pellet stove. More than once I've positioned my face at the end of my vent pipe to test the temp and quality of the exhaust air. Each time the air was no warmer than the room blower air, which can be barely warm if the stove is on a very low setting. Also, the air was so clean that when breathing it I could hardly tell that it was exhaust air. Now my exhaust is barely warm since I added 4 4-foot lengths of metal water pipe into the 4"horizontal section of the exhaust pipe. They soak-up lots of exhaust heat before it goes out the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.