venting pellet stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steevo

Oct 17, 2011
central ct
I have been running an Enviro Windsor stove with no issues. When we purchased the house it had a 6" liner that was a year old that has been reduced to 3" with a T cleanout. No leaks but it is a Huge pain to clean as the T is only about a foot above the fireplace bottom. The stove itself sits on the fireplace hearth and sits flush against the fireplace.

I am wondering if it is possible to vent the stove by drilling through the back of the fireplace itself and go up the outside of the brick? This way would seem to be easier to clean, and a lot cheaper than running a new stainless liner through the chimney.

Has anyone ever done this?

thanks in advance,

Steve

I do not see why you couldn't do that, one thing to check is what the length of your horizontal run needed to get to the outside of your fireplace flue. Check your manual some stoves limit the length of a horizontal run.

Also check your manual if this type of a venting would be allowed, I do not know since it is made as an insert, but your manual might have a an example of this.

Honestly I wouldn't want to do that to my house, if someone in the future would want to use the fireplace it would have to be properly repaired so it could be used as a fireplace. But it is your house.