Venting pellet stove through house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kjc12

Jan 14, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello. I’d really like to install a direct vent pellet stove in an old smaller concrete block fishing cottage. The only wall where this could easily sit is an interior wall. Behind the wall is an alcove that sits under the steps. Beyond the alcove is the exterior wall.

Would I be able to install a stove that vents horizontally through one interior wall, under a set of steps and then to the exterior of the cottage?

152DD02D-6F9C-49BD-975A-23DAD4E6E722.jpeg

If you are doing a direct vent straight out of the exterior wall
you will need a wall thimble for each wall pulse the pipes

I think you need some protection covering the pipe that is going through the staircase as well. Might be wrong but for some reason I think it does.

I think you need some protection covering the pipe that is going through the staircase as well. Might be wrong but for some reason I think it does.
Just have to maintain the clearance to combustibles for the pipe you are using. If the outside wall is block and not framed out on the inside the pipe can go thru and just mortared in. No thimble required if there is no combustible products on the inside or outside of the block wall. Definitely need thimble to go thru the interior frame wall

i don't see any access to get under those stairs that's going to be a bit of work.. Yes its dooable and yes it will work as said above you need to keep the min distance from combustibles and have a thimble through each wall has combustibles. Nothing you can move around to get it on another exterior wall? With your couch or chair sitting their your gong to roast..