Venting Requirements for Biomass Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vgrund

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2005
Amherst, NH
This question is mostly just being driven by my curiosity. I know that burning 100% corn requires special venting material. If one burns a 50/50 combination of wood pellets and corn, does one still need more expensive corn-rated venting?

vgrund said:
This question is mostly just being driven by my curiosity. I know that burning 100% corn requires special venting material. If one burns a 50/50 combination of wood pellets and corn, does one still need more expensive corn-rated venting?

If your owner's manual says it does, then , in a word, YES

vgrund said:

The special venting is required because burning corn produces products that are corrosive, burning a mixture just produces a smaller amount it doesn't prevent it from forming so the answer is yes.

I did a search on corn in the Mt Vernon AE manual (an insert I'm considering). It does not address it in any way, whether 100% corn or a mixture.

Start out with the good stuff, Dura Vent Pellet Vent Pro and never have to worry.

Eric

The manual says PL or L venting is to be used. It however is silent on what gets used when.

PL vent pipe is rated for both wood pellets and grain (corn), type L is rated for wood pellets.

So as they say pick your poison, my bet is the PL will stand up a lot better than the L when burning any quantity of corn. I wish I could remember where I saw a picture of some vent pipe after being used with corn that wasn't rated for it Holey would be the word I'd use to describe it.

Great info, thanks! I missed the "PL" or "L" reference on page 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.