Venting smoke through wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I had a smoke hood built at a sheet metal shop and I am in the process of installing it above my eko. I really can't go out the roof because of space and need to go through the wall. I can find 8" wall vent caps for dryers and range hoods but I am concerned that they would cause the siding on my building to get stained from soot. They direct the smoke down and not out and up. I also need a backdraft flap built into it. Any ideas?

I had a smoke hood built at a sheet metal shop and I am in the process of installing it above my eko. I really can't go out the roof because of space and need to go through the wall. I can find 8" wall vent caps for dryers and range hoods but I am concerned that they would cause the siding on my building to get stained from soot. They direct the smoke down and not out and up. I also need a backdraft flap built into it. Any ideas?

http://www.roofvents.com/categories.php This company has a very interesting wall vent .

I don't think you're going to have soot/stain issues with a smoke "hood". You're not going to be venting that much smoke, at least I wouldn't think.

I have my "exhaust vent" vented through a louvered cap that directs the air down along a section of siding on the back of my house. I only run my blower once in a while when I know I'm loading at a bad time but I've never had any staining issues.

I use a 4" in-line "Hurricane Fan". Rating on the side says 200cfm. I vented to the outside with a 4" fully stainless steel dryer vent kit. Vent kit has a damper built in. Seal the seams with foil tape. It will suck a piece of paper through the opening in my hood.

Haven't used it yet for reloading but it works well for venting soldering fumes!

....soldering fumes and cleaning the boiler dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.