Venting through a heatilator fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
getting ready to install my freestanding pellet stove...Its in a "difficult" room, and I just want to be absolutely sure I have it in the best location.

one of the "possible" locations is to put it in front of a heatilator zero-clearance fireplace that was put in when the house was built. There is no masonry chimney; the foundation of the house does have the "bump-out" for such a chimney, but the builder just put up a wood chase, and vinyl sided it with the rest of the house. I'm told that the fireplaces' chimney is just a "b-vent" pipe; not adequate for attaching a real wood stove.

The venting options in the stove manual (Harman Accentra) show that you can just run a pipe up into an "existing fireplace chimney". (they don't specify the chimney's construction). (option 5 in the manual). I was reading the manual for simpson duravent flex-pipe chimney liner, and it says it has to be installed in a masonry chimney. I remember looking at install manuals for some pellet stove inserts, and many of them say that they can be installed into a pre-fab fireplace like this.

Is the "flex pipe" and "chimney liner" not the same thing?

looking again at the manual, I see "option 6" shows a liner going all the way up the chimney...but it doesn't look like a flexible liner. perhaps that is regular, rigid pellet pipe going all the way up? that would be an expensive option, as this chimney chase is 25' to the top. not to mention, I'm not at all comfortable working up there on the roof, that high. But I could stick a piece of flexible pipe up into the damper of the existing setup. Question is, is it allowable?

also, wouldn't ash tend to collect in there, where it would be difficult to get it out? I've seen conical shaped pellet/stove pipe adapters. could that be used?

outside air would be a challenge in this scenario, too. but I just want to know my options.

tx

Chuck,
The flexible pipe and chimney liners are the same thing, assuming the flex pipe your talking about is made for pellet stoves. The reason that it's better to run all the way up the chimney is to improve the draft. If it only goes part way up, and the opening is too large, the exhaust gas will cool too quickly, causing condensation in the chimney. I bought a 25' liner on-line for $370, and it came with the cover and cap. It was easy to connect the cover and feed it down the chimney, the trick was carrying it up the ladder. But it was worth it, the stove works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.