Venting through concrete foundation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsirois

Jun 14, 2008
Amherst, NH
I posted this question in a relatively lengthy post...never received an answer. So I'm trying again...

I want to install a pellet furnace in the basement. I have an empty flue, but the looks like the furnace would be slightly better off on the other side of the house seems...which would mean drilling a large hole through the concrete foundation. How common/normal is that? Would it be easy to patch/fill if I ever remove the stove?

Occam's razor. Avoid concrete because that's alot of work lol.

I don't think it's very common, mostly because as reallyte said it is hard work. I'll let others advise on the structural implications and considerations. But, if you have the height above grade to meet code, or can use a snorkel box to get the height, and it gets the stove where you really want it then do it. Patching the hole later shouldn't be too big a deal.

The problem seems to be the LP lines running along that wall near the sill and electrical. That's why the "hole though concrete" became an option. Plus, I'd have to go up once outside to meet clearances from an LP generator quick connect.

It is common, maybe not for pellet stoves, but many other applications. You can hire someone, or you can rent a wet-bit core drill $150-$175 and do it yourself. You will need to run water over it, so take that into consideration. It will give you the fastest and cleanest cut.

Another way is to punch a bunch of drilled (small diameter) holes through and chip them out, provided there is no rebar in that location. Labor intensive, and not as clean of a hole.

here ya go...

Attachments

• CoreDrill450.jpg
    CoreDrill450.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,407
I'd pay someone and have it core drilled and KEEP the core for future very easy patching. I drilled mine with an SDS+ hammer drill and chipped the rest with chisels. Didn't hit any rebar but IT SUCKED. I repeat, IT SUCKED.

Reactions: vinny11950
I blew a hole thru an 8" concrete wall years ago for my septic drain... my contractor missed the proper grade so i did it by hand with a star drill... never again.

Just did it yesterday. Rented core bit and hammer drill. 4" hole through poured concrete. Would have taken 10 minutes until rebar...cut rebar with sawzaw. Not too bad really. Used a friend with a spray water bottle to cut down on dust.

Just did it yesterday. Rented core bit and hammer drill. 4" hole through poured concrete. Would have taken 10 minutes until rebar...cut rebar with sawzaw. Not too bad really. Used a friend with a spray water bottle to cut down on dust.
Nice! I did the same but with a hammer drill. Did a circle pattern and chipped it all out. Was going great until I hit rebar with the hammer drill and almost broke my wrist. Anyway got it done and patched up and has been fine for 3 years.

I did mine through my cinder block foundation.

It's a fast job. I rented a makita sds hammer drill and core bit from Home Depot for 65 dollars.

The drilling took all of 2 mins. The key is to check and recheck your measurement at least 4 times. You only get one shot to place the hole on target! Patching would be easy as well.

I have about 4.5 cinder blocks of exposure on that side of my house so it was a easier install to have the vent come off the stove, go up 60" inches and out through the wall just below the rim joist of the house. I'll see if I can find a photo of the inside and outside.

Last edited:
Just go to your local tool rental place, rent a core drill and the appropriate size masonry drill bit and hammer drill (to attach the core drill to the wall). You'll have a "factory" looking hole in no time! Just make sure that there is no conduits or the like buried in the wall. That wouldn't be so common in residential though, conduit in the wall is normally more of a commercial/industrial building issue.

Edit: The above would be for a poured concrete wall, if you have a block wall then just as mentioned by others, a hammer drill with a masonry bit is all you need.

Outside view - I know, shame on me for a 12" length of PVC in my oak....been meaning to get a short piece of galvanized.
null_zps46e28ebc.jpg

photo_zps329e94fc.jpg

feb931b72165f1b027d03f8292161786.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Snomobileaddict, doesn't your setup get buried in snow?

Snomobileaddict, doesn't your setup get buried in snow?

Nope, not at all. We have a significant windbreak (lots of trees) on that side of the house that you can't see. The snow is never more than a trace or so as far out as 6-7' feet from the foundation on that side.

Plus, I made sure to comply with minimum height above grade required in the manufacturers literature.

Last edited:
Nice:cool:

Outside view - I know, shame on me for a 12" length of PVC in my oak....been meaning to get a short piece of galvanized.
null_zps46e28ebc.jpg

photo_zps329e94fc.jpg

There you are. I just call you "Guy with a fenced in stove." I couldn't find the last pic of it you posted when some friends asked about kid protection.

Nice install. Get a good surge suppressor or UPS to protect the electronics.

Nice install. Get a good surge suppressor or UPS to protect the electronics.

Ha!
Good one, that is an old photo not showing my protector.

null_zps46e28ebc.jpg

photo_zps329e94fc.jpg

Very nice. So that OAK goes up inside the studs of the wall and then outside? Is it all steel piping inside the wall?

I'm curious how placement of a furnace matters at all? if you're attaching to venting anyway, it doesn't matter where the unit is.... put it up the flue.

Very nice. So that OAK goes up inside the studs of the wall and then outside? Is it all steel piping inside the wall?

Yes, up the stud cavity, through top plate and out through the rim joist and vinyl siding. All galvanized 2" pipe. I had access to a bunch for free so I wene with it. Just didnty have enough for he last leg hanging out side the house.

Yes, up the stud cavity, through top plate and out through the rim joist and vinyl siding. All galvanized 2" pipe. I had access to a bunch for free so I wene with it. Just didnty have enough for he last leg hanging out side the house.
Is basement wall insulated? If so did you run OAK inside or outside of the insulation? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.