Ventis wall thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Can I have something semi combustible like insulation near the wall pass through? Or do I need to remove everything possible around it? The wall thimble it self provides clearance to combustibles do I need additional clearance around the thimble? Should I get ride of that pink insulation?

2932D97B-2247-4F97-81FD-2A5DA1549C5E.jpeg

Can I have something semi combustible like insulation near the wall pass through? Or do I need to remove everything possible around it? The wall thimble it self provides clearance to combustibles do I need additional clearance around the thimble? Should I get ride of that pink insulation?

View attachment 279734
Yes get rid of anything inside the specified opening to be framed

Reactions: Rob_Red
I’m going to need to extend the pass through since my wall is 12 inches deep. Does that extension get installed with self tappers?
Honestly I don't know I have never had to use an extension. I would probably rivet it myself

Honestly I don't know I have never had to use an extension. I would probably rivet it myself

Got it, also am I interpreting the instructions correctly when they say the piece of class A chimney pipe that passes through the wall needs to stick out past the interior wall by 6”? Seems like a lot. Also my interior wall is non combustible it’s comprised of cement board and stone veneer.

Got it, also am I interpreting the instructions correctly when they say the piece of class A chimney pipe that passes through the wall needs to stick out past the interior wall by 6”? Seems like a lot. Also my interior wall is non combustible it’s comprised of cement board and stone veneer.
Ahh this is a class a wall passthrough not a thimble for a masonry chimney. Is it 6"? I havnt done one for a while we switched to Jeremiahs chimneys but I thought it was 3 or 4.