Vermont Casting Defiant problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlowcoal

Dec 6, 2006
Dayton, Maryland
New guy here. Hello to all. I just found this site last night so I am really really new. I haven't had time to peruse the site to get my bearings. That said if I am in the wrong place to post my delema or this is not the typical question I apologize.
So here goes. I am not new to heating with wood, I had a resolute acclaim in my last house. My present stove is just under 3 years old and is my primary heat source. I had this years first fire around Thanksgiving, and burned for about 3 days with no problems . When I fired up the stove last weekend, as soon as I closed the doors, whether the damper was open or closed, it was back puffing bad even with the air control all the way open. I let the fire go out and inspected the stove only to find the catalytic combustor all broken up in the throat. I called the local dealer who promptly told me that "someone needs to learn how to operate a wood stove". He told me that I obviously overheated my stove and caused the failure of the cc (I am very careful with my stove and know it has never been over fired, yea I too love to mess with my stove). The house was getting cold so I drove an hour to the place and picked up the new cc($200, warranty papers filed). After installing the new part and relighting the stove I found that I still got lazy flame as soon as I closed the doors even with the damper open. After further investigation I found that the air control was no longer openning the primary air shutter. I can only assume the cable is broken or something has come undone. Has anyone had to deal with this before? Can I fix this myself? If I pay someone to do this, how much is it going to cost me? Any help would be appreciated grealy. Thank you in advance, Billy.

is it safe to assume you checked your chimney cap for excess creosote? Your wood is bone dry and your engaging the cat when the stove is 500*+?
Elk has worked on a few VC, he should be around shortly to help you with the damper problem..
If the cat was broken, it would have in theroy, not had a effect on your problem. If the damper is off track, thats a shure fire way to have a cold fire.

I think you can fix it , either the cable has broken or come un attached the most probable cause
Here is an exploded view of what you are dealing with

I'm willing to bet the primary air control remained in a closed position. That explains why you can not get any draft to fire that stove and push the smoke up the chimney
No air comming so no exhaust going out. When my stove cool down tomorrow I will look at the setup.

the outer right hand plate is held on by either top of bottom bolt or two. It can be removed without effecting the iner fire box of the stove.
The ash pan essembly can be removed easilly One has to take of the air control handle by backing off the allen set screw you should be able to see if the cable is atttached or broken

http://www.discountstove.com/vcdefiant1945.htm

Damn Vc aught be paying me for solving their problems. I should get a parts comission

I think that I got the stove to tempature and closed the damper assuming all was good. With no air and all that heat, wouldn't that have caused the combuster to fail? I just cleaned the chimney before the first fire. I will admit that my wood isn't as seasoned as I would like, but it burns well even in the fire place. I feel like this air controll is to blame. Do you agree?

You should be able to do it if your fairly handy. You'll probably have to remove the air control handle and thermostat assembly to pull a new cable through if it broke.

Update: I pulled the right air palte off last night (two bolts) and found the cable and the little arm that attaches to the throttle assembly laying in the bottom. There is a brass rivot that holds this arm in palce that gave out. I replaced it with a 8-32 stainless bolt for now and bolted the cover back in place. The air plate has a gasket on it that was in very good conditon and it appears that no cement is used between the gasket and where it meets the stove.
I fired up the stove and the air throttle position that I am used to has changed. Before all this happened it would typically be at about 9:00 and now to maintain desired temp its more like 6:00. I let the fire go out this morning and will refire this afternoon and watch it. The pesimist in me thinks its getting too much air now.

I also know that I need to pick up another thermometer- I have two and had them both on the griddle top last night. One read 500 degrees and one read 700 degrees and they were rifgt next to each other.

a little hint if your wood is not quite dry do not engage the cat early wait a bit longer before engaging. Yes if you air control was remaining stuck open, the presents of wet wood,
engaging a cat and faulty temps readings, the cat can be overfired and damaged by moisture / steam A lot of things went wrong to reach that condition, some user error but primary air disconnection is mechanical and not your fault, Most of the time if the cat gets a bit clogged it will burn it off the next hot fire These cats are not as fragile as one thinks. It takes a lot to go wrong to destroy one

Status
Not open for further replies.