Vermont Casting Encore 1450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpwolfgang

Mar 22, 2012
Hello everyone. I wanted to see what everyone's opinion was of this model. I have an opportunity to pick this 3 year old stove up for about $600. The owner says he paid $2500 a few years ago. This sounds like a good deal to me. I also heard that the new VC stoves aren't as good as the older ones. Is there any truth to this. I believe this will be a huge upgrade to me because I've been using a 30 year old Garrison for about the past 4 years. Thanks!

A few things about the stove:

1: It is a non-catalytic 'Everburn' model. You will need to check the fountain assembly to see if it needs to be replaced. If it does, replacement parts can be about $400. That is important to know when factoring in the cost of the stove.

2: The stove needs a liner. It will not run well without a liner. Just plugging it into a chimney will result in poor and frustrating performance.

3: How big is your Garrison stove? How big is the firebox? Some of the photos online make the stove look to be about the same size as the old Vigilant stove. If that is the case, that means it has a 2.5-3.0 cu ft firebox with, what looks, like single wall castings. If this is the case, than the Encore will not produce as much heat as your Garrison. You will need to look at a larger stove in the 3 cu ft firebox range.

A few things about the stove:

1: It is a non-catalytic 'Everburn' model. You will need to check the fountain assembly to see if it needs to be replaced. If it does, replacement parts can be about $400. That is important to know when factoring in the cost of the stove.

2: The stove needs a liner. It will not run well without a liner. Just plugging it into a chimney will result in poor and frustrating performance.

3: How big is your Garrison stove? How big is the firebox? Some of the photos online make the stove look to be about the same size as the old Vigilant stove. If that is the case, that means it has a 2.5-3.0 cu ft firebox with, what looks, like single wall castings. If this is the case, than the Encore will not produce as much heat as your Garrison. You will need to look at a larger stove in the 3 cu ft firebox range.
X2, I would personally stay away from this model, from what I hear they are not manufacturing anymore, you are better off with your garrison or look for a 2550 encore. My opinion.

BrowningBar - What is the "fountain assembly"? Why does it need a liner? Right now I just have a terecotta chimney. I'm not exactly sure how big my Garrison is, but I do know it's too big. I have to dampen this thing wayyy down or it sweats us out of the house. The stove is downstairs and if I don't keep it under control the downstairs will get up to 95 degrees and upstairs will be in the 80's. I always end up with alot of creosote and I think that's the reason. I can't hardly ever run it wide open unless it's in the single digits outside.

Defiant - Is the 2550 encore just a larger model or did they do something different that makes it better?

BrowningBar - What is the "fountain assembly"?

It is the white fragile part located behind the back panel of the firebox. It is responsible for the reburning and making the stove efficient to run.

Why does it need a liner? Right now I just have a terecotta chimney.

All modern EPA stove should be run with a liner. But, this stove in particular needs the liner to function properly or you will have problems engaging the Everburn and you will experience backpuffing.

I'm not exactly sure how big my Garrison is, but I do know it's too big. I have to dampen this thing wayyy down or it sweats us out of the house. The stove is downstairs and if I don't keep it under control the downstairs will get up to 95 degrees and upstairs will be in the 80's. I always end up with alot of creosote and I think that's the reason. I can't hardly ever run it wide open unless it's in the single digits outside.

Than it sounds like the size of the Encore would work for you.

Defiant - Is the 2550 encore just a larger model or did they do something different that makes it better?

It is the same stove, but it is the catalytic version which is easier to run over the non-catalytic Everburn version of the stove. There have been many people that have had poor experience with VC's Everburn system.

If you have a Garrison 1, (which I believe is the largest of the three models they made) you might want to look into a VC Defiant. The garrison is a true smoke dragon with only a metal baffle and no reburn methods.

If you have a Garrison 1, (which I believe is the largest of the three models they made) you might want to look into a VC Defiant. The garrison is a true smoke dragon with only a metal baffle and no reburn methods.

Based on what he was saying about the Garrison getting parts of the house to 95 degrees, I think a 2.3 cu ft stove should heat his home just fine. That doesn't mean he should get the Encore, but the size seems about right for his needs.

The Encore states that it is a non-cat, which is incorrect. Either it isn't a 2550 or it is a catalytic stove. Either wayyou will need to see if the fountain assembly is in working order or if the catalytic assembly and catalytic combustor is in working order. If not, the parts will need to be replaced as I mentioned previously. For the catalytic parts the Assembly will run you @200-240 and the combustor will run you about $200. It will need to be lined as well.

The second link is to an old pre-EPA defiant. This model is probably larger than your Garrison. If the Garrison is too much heat, the old Defiant will really cook you.

If you do not want to line your chimney (it is recommended that you do with any modern stove) I would stay away from the Vermont Casting stoves as they really do need a liner to work properly. Other stoves will work better with a liner, but for the most part, they will not run as poorly as an unlined VC stove.

Interesting. I guess I'll be looking into adding a liner. How much does that run? I'm pretty handy. Is it something I could do myself?

Interesting. I guess I'll be looking into adding a liner. How much does that run? I'm pretty handy. Is it something I could do myself?

It can be done yourself. Parts will run you between $600-$1000. Installed by a sweep you are looking at $1500-$2000.

Where's the best place to buy. Are all liners the same or are some better than others?

It would be best to create another thread for that. Others have more extensive knowledge on liners than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.