Vermont Casting Resolute Second Chamber Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Urbbru

Sep 1, 2018
Ste-Adele
Hello,

Is there a way to clean the second combustion chamber of a VC resolute ? The problem is that when i try to do the horizontal combustion, the temp of the stove drop from 600degres to 350-400 degres. I cleaned the holes at the back and it dosent change the situation. Thanks !

Run a vacuum hose down through the flue collar. Then, remove the right insert and run your hose behind the fireback. Easy. Maybe...

Reactions: begreen
When I rebuilt the Resolute a little over a year ago, Defiant3 was a great help in that regard. But removing the right and left inserts was the biggest PITA.... The work-hardened hardware had to be drilled out...with a new bit used on each and every bolt. (Forget the 'cobalt' steel or titanium bits you may buy at the corner hardware or big-box store. Even those branded with a well known American company name are Chinese made crap.) I did use Grade 8 hardware for re-assembly, but with copper based anti-seize on all the threads. We'll see how 'easy' it is next time.

But after 80 cords and 36 heating seasons, there was surprisingly little ash/debris in that area. If you can wheel this beast outside, a blast with high-pressure air might be a whole lot easier.