vermont casting vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KB16

Jan 5, 2021
LI, NY
I bought my new house in May so I don't know exactly how old the stove is, but it seemed like it was in great shape and worked very well so far this winter until a couple days ago. I let the fire burn out, cleaned it, restarted a fire and at just over 500 degrees I heard a loud pop from the other room. I now have a crack in the casing of the stove in between the front "ledge" and the front right leg. I opened the doors, let the fire burn out and noticed the crack goes slightly underneath and towards the. Due to my ignorance on the matter I was wondering if something like a JBWeld high heat product would be sufficient for a situation like this or it's too serious. I didn't see the crack all the way through on the base of the inside of the stove. Thank you kindly for any insight

92EEA304-4D3D-40CB-A09C-31A07C1305A7.jpeg4BA6A337-07CA-4D59-9B6F-929A22BF51C6.jpeg

That looks pretty serious. Epoxy is not the solution.

Reactions: KB16
with the way that is cracked i would say it's time to give that stove the blessing and buy a new one

Sad to say unless someone gave you the parts for free its not worth fixing. They were great stoves but if its the original models it could be 30 to 40 years old. Some folks give them a second life as an outdoor stove or planter.

Reactions: KB16
Thanks for the input. Maybe I’ll epoxy it and bring it outside and use it to make steaks or breakfast for the wife and kid, get some sort of use out of it. Once again, much appreciated

Hi. I am thinking of buying the below. It’s listed for $300 Canadian. Is this good value? Wondering if I can put glass in the doors? If so, can I bring doors to a glass company and they will cut to fit?

Attachments

• AF9CACF1-124F-42DB-BFB4-7135B72CEC73.png
    AF9CACF1-124F-42DB-BFB4-7135B72CEC73.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 193
Is that a Vermont Castings or a clone?

If there are no warped or cracked pieces, seals in good shape, and damper functions, it should be worth that. Some came with ceramic glass for the doors. Mine has the glass and the cast panels. I think if they were the coal burning ones, they had the ceramic.

I have a similar problem as the Original poster, I have a small crack in the base, 3" from the left front leg running diagonal in towards the center. I was given and accepted a a vigilant coal/wood stove that someone had previously stripped legs and doors off of. Thankfully I didn't need those parts, and looking at the base, it looks similar but wondering if anyone can tell me if the base is interchangeable between the vigilant wood stove and the vigilant coal stove?

I have a similar problem as the Original poster, I have a small crack in the base, 3" from the left front leg running diagonal in towards the center. I was given and accepted a a vigilant coal/wood stove that someone had previously stripped legs and doors off of. Thankfully I didn't need those parts, and looking at the base, it looks similar but wondering if anyone can tell me if the base is interchangeable between the vigilant wood stove and the vigilant coal stove?
i believe they are.

Is glass expensive to replace?

It's not glass, and a regular glass company might not have the right material. It's a ceramic. Don't go to a glass company, go to a stove dealer.

It's not glass, and a regular glass company might not have the right material. It's a ceramic. Don't go to a glass company, go to a stove dealer.
Several good glass companies also sell stove ceramic glass. Ask them if they sell NeoCeram, Robax, Pyroceram, etc. If none available locally, this company provides good service and competitive pricing.