Vermont Castings 1979?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmsk864

Jan 2, 2023
OH
Hi,

I was hoping to have some help identifying this cast iron stove; we bought this house and it is in the garage. See attached pictures. I don't really see a model no. on the plate on the back or a mfg year, just when it was tested (1979). So, I'm guessing it's a 1979 Defiant Parlor Stove?

Secondly, it's rusted. How hard is it to restore this to working condition? From what I can tell, the only thing broke is the door on the right (it's the hinge pins that seemed to have snapped). And is it worth it to restore it? My wife and I were planning on installing a wood stove anyway in the basement; although we were hoping the doors would be glass. This thing is pretty cool though.

Lastly, how much is it worth as is in the even this is possibly out of a DIY wheelhouse?

Thanks so much!

PXL_20230101_215623304.jpg PXL_20230102_142525885.jpg PXL_20230102_142753142.jpg PXL_20230102_142822598.jpg PXL_20230102_142829848.jpg PXL_20230102_143031854.jpg PXL_20230102_143116820.jpg

It's a Defiant II made between 1981 and 1986 or so. Looks like it needs a fireback kit at very least, possibly other parts as well. Overall condition is pretty bad, I would take a pass on it myself. Probably more than trouble than it's worth to rebuild.

Reactions: Tech Guru
just for s---s and giggles what was it that made it a 2 and not a 1a1

if it needs a fireback then it's also going to need a left side also. right ??

So it has the curved upper fireback unlike the 1's that have the straight upper. Also note the wrap-around front. On the 1, the front fits into the side but on this sttove the side fits into the front. Got the "dog house" cover over the thermostat too which the 1's ain't got. Also the left end only would need replacement if you had an old 1 piece fireback Defiant, so this stove would need just the Defiant II fireback kit 000-5837.

Reactions: Tech Guru
So it has the curved upper fireback unlike the 1's that have the straight upper. Also note the wrap-around front. On the 1, the front fits into the side but on this sttove the side fits into the front. Got the "dog house" cover over the thermostat too which the 1's ain't got. Also the left end only would need replacement if you had an old 1 piece fireback Defiant, so this stove would need just the Defiant II fireback kit 000-5837.
@Defiant 3 @fbelec so it seems like you think it is worth probably too much trouble for a DIYer like me whose work with cast iron has only since been limited to getting old cast iron pans and pots and renewing them? And it appears like the cost of a new fireback, and possibly more parts, will be at the minimum $4-850? That does seem steep and possibly extremely laborous? What would you sell this for in its condition?

Last edited: