Vermont Castings 2190 Defiant Encore - should it be completely disassembled & re-cemented?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KawiVulc99

Dec 10, 2020
Schoeneck PA
We have a Defiant Encore that has been idle since our last move about 20 years ago. Finally getting around to getting it cleaned up & ready to burn and I've got it disassembled to the point where it's pretty much bottom, sides & top. Would it advisable / worth the time & effort at this point to continue disassembly & re-cement the entire stove? It doesn't seem like all that much more work & there'd be better access to the inside surfaces to get them cleaned up but I've been wondering... is a complete teardown a must... is there a downside to a complete disassembly? So far the stove's been coming apart fairly easily although I had to drill out the upper fireback bolts & clean out the treads with a tap along with a couple others . Thanks!

I would do it. And yes, it is not that much more work. Plus, you can say you did a complete tear down. You will find some good reads here on tearing down the encore.

Reactions: KawiVulc99