Vermont Castings Defiant - Buy New or Restore the Old One?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silver78

May 12, 2019
Mid Atlantic USA
How long will my 19 year old Defiant last. I needs gaskets but I wonder if it's like an old car. I do not know a lot about the internals. Are there major repairs coming my way or can it last another 10 years? Most importantly to me is safety. Don't want to burn down the house. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Is this a catalytic Defiant? If so, it can be rebuilt, but that is somewhat costly.

Yes it is a catalytic model. The firebox is good but the catalyst could use replacement. Other than gaskets, what else is usually involved in a re-build? Since you are a moderator what stove would you recommend instead of the Defiant? I have a long flue and it's ceramic but it was sized for a wood stove not a fireplace chimney. I also have an outside air intake duct. The fire exit hole into the wall is 8 inch round. I would want something with similar output and at least the same burn time. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sounds like the 2550. A rebuild can run in the 800 to $1500 range depending on what is needed. If it just needs a catalyst then it would be much less, but typically it needs a new refractory package as well as gaskets. If the bypass is warping then costs go up.

After 19 years of service I would probably be thinking of replacement. In 19 years how many cats have you replaced?