Vermont Castings Defiant or Buck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buck_Dan

Nov 20, 2016
Indy
For the past few years I've been running an old Buck insert in our fireplace. I've grown tired of it eating wood and now it's lost its low fan speed so it's leaving. I've been looking around and I've noticed the stove industry is suffering from long fulfillment times (weeks to months). So walking into a store and finding units is problematic. Yes, I've done my research and have an idea as to the cons. We will be selling the house within the next couple of years so it doesn't concern me that much. The big selling point to me is that it uses an 8" liner because the idea of replacing the liner was stressing me out. Thoughts, and if anyone knows of another stove/insert that uses a 8" liner I'm all ears. Oh yeah, my chimney is 23' with about 2/3's of it running inside the structure. Thanks

I would focus on what will fit. Some inserts will work ok transitioning to 8". That could broaden options and lower costs.

I would focus on what will fit. Some inserts will work ok transitioning to 8". That could broaden options and lower costs.
Thanks for the reply. It prompted me to do some more research and settled on a Buck 91. Actually found a place with them in stock.

Good deal. That will be a nice improvement.