Vermont castings defiant puffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gnanneb86

Nov 12, 2017
Holley, NY
Hi all,

I have been reading many threads and have found the site very useful but this is my first post. I did some searches to find more info but finally resorted to making a post.

I purchased a Vermont castings defiant wood stove last winter.

The stove starts very easily and gets up to temp quick. I load it up, get the griddle temp up to 600 to 700 then shut the damper to engage the catalyst and leave the air wide open till the catalyst temp gets well into operating range.

Once I begin reducing the air into the stove the flames die down some as I would suspect but then periodically I get a large explosion of gasses in the stove. This puffs a lot of smoke into the room and will continue to happen till I open the air all the way again, and then it's fine but the stove starts getting too hot and I have to reduce the air at some point. Sometimes when I completely shut the air intake the puffing will stop. Even with the air all the way shut the griddle temps stay around 650ish.

Some stats

Wood is very dry, has been drying 2 plus years, was thinking maybe I need to try some wetter wood, or get a moisture meter to test it and see what I'm at

Chimney is about 18 feet total height, there are two elbows prior to the chimney going through the wall and then taking a last turn up the masonry chimney, lined with clay, then lined with stainless squished into an oval. Chimney inside house is 8in, liner is squished into an oval, about 7 x 11.

Any ideas? All info is appreciated. I'm not new to burning wood and even grew up with an old Vermont castings, non catalytic though.

Thanks!