Vermont Castings Encore 2550 Combustion Hood & More ?'s w/ Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieKat1690

Feb 19, 2015
Northern NJ
Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie here so sorry if anything is wrong with this post. My family and I recently (Last January 2014) rented a house that has the vermont castings stove encore 2550 model already installed. I have no idea how long the stove has been here or when it was installed. I know the landlord was pretty good with cleaning everything out but I don't know about the previous tenants.

Last season when we used it, we had no problems and we cleaned it out in the summer months before this burning season. This winter though we have had a bunch of problems. First we had a clog in the chimney area that had to be cleaned out again mid winter and now we are having problems with the combustion throat hood that continuously falls off.

I do have some questions and provided pictures so if anybody can help out that would be great! Thank you!

1.) The combustion throat hood seems to be warped so I know we will need to replace it but I just want to be sure if that is the only problem.

Our current throat hood
IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4631_2.JPG IMG_4632_2.JPG IMG_4635_2.JPG
There is a throat hood available here on eBay but my question is, is it reliable or ok to buy parts from eBay? We did call a local VC retailer but they said it would take them 2-6 weeks to get the part and that we we're better off probably trying to find it somewhere else.
2.) Does anyone have any good sites to buy parts off?
3.) Would it be ok to still use the stove and burn wood without the throat hood?

Also I've been wondering if something is wrong with the catalytic combustor or the back of the stove. Sorry if its hard to see in these pictures because it was a little dark. I think you are supposed to easily be able to take the combustor out but there is some kind of squishy type substance surrounding the combustor. My brother who works in heating, broilers etc. said that its usually found in broilers to protect things from the heat.
IMG_4636_2.JPG IMG_4637.JPG IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4645_2.JPG

Sorry the pictures are not straight, I can't figure out how to put them the right way. Also sorry if this post is all over the place basically just want to know if anyone sees any major problems.
A view of the whole stove .
IMG_4643.JPG

The throat hood keeps falling out because it's so warped. It needs replaced.
The issue is that often all the cast parts warped together, so a new throat, lower fireback and damper frame is needed. It can get into big bucks! Then often times the combustion package is also bad. That's the squishy stuff.
You really need to pull that lower fireback to inspect the combustion box that houses the cat. It is likely clogged with ash on the exhaust sides of the box.

Lower fire back also looks badly eroded... I think I see cracks as well. Most likely that stove was seriously overfired. I agree with the above, I would take it apart and expect to need the entire fire back kit - lower back, upper back, hood, refractory and a new cat. This will be $$$ and if you have to pay for labor probably more expensive than replacing the stove.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we have seen many in this shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking on what you have found, I have a 2550 that I'm rebuilding. My hood was warp to and refractory was falling apart with a hole on the right side causing a big bubble in the stainless side plate. The plate did it job protecting the side of the stove

Looks like a bunch of typical encore parts! All burned up and warped..

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.