Vermont Castings Encore non cat... not burning real hot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sean b

Oct 19, 2015
Central PA
I've done plenty of reading here on this stove. Bought in 2008/2009 Had the fountain and a bunch of other parts replaced a few years ago. Cleaned/vacuumed it last week to prep for burning and everything looked okay. I always take the flue collar off and use a mirror to make sure the fountain is clean on each side and in good shape. Made my first fire this afternoon and it's burning but it's not burning hot like it should with the thermostat in the halfway position. Good breeze outside so the draft should be good. Could it be an issue with it not getting enough combustion air? Is there a clogging point? Wood has been sitting under roof for 3-4 years so I know that's not an issue.

I know this stove is a problem child and that I'll need to replace it at some point. Was really hoping to get another season or 3 out of it since the fountain still looks good.

Any troubleshooting help is most appreciated!

I'd also appreciate any input on a suitable replacement stove for a 1500 square foot 2 story.

Looks like a nice looking stove...Hope you solve the problem ---to me with little experience it sounds like something like not enough of air or something like that--just guessing--lol..That stove you have is over ten years old--pretty darn good---old clancey

Looks like a nice looking stove...Hope you solve the problem ---to me with little experience it sounds like something like not enough of air or something like that--just guessing--lol..That stove you have is over ten years old--pretty darn good---old clancey
They are not good stoves at all. Good looking absolutely but not good when it comes to maintenance or operation

Reactions: clancey
Well that's nice to know . Maybe it is time for him to get a new stove like he said he might consider..that stove is getting up there in age but it sounds like it had a real good run..clancey

Does anyone know if the new models of the same stove are worth a look? I saw one in a store recently but no one there knew much about their own product or the issues of the Encore non cat from 10-12 years ago.

Last edited:
Few people here have them and report good results. All of the VC encores are beautiful stoves to look at, but are very complex in terms of its “down draft” technology. Many moving parts that are very expensive to replace.

Going back to your issue with your stove. Did you vacuum the air passages on each side of the refractory box. A lot of debris tends to accumulate there. You will need a small hose to get down there.

I am the owner of one; wish I knew about this forum as a newbie and perhaps would have purchased something else. That being said, I've learned how to run it and I two have ten years on mine.

We all know the equation is fuel + oxygen. Given what you described about the wood you're using I would further explore a problem with air flow. Just curious, what was the outside temp when you started burning. I never get a good burn unless we are dropping into the LOW 40s.

BTW, we had our first accumulating snow here in NH last night.

Reactions: Diabel
Few people here have them and report good results. All of the VC encores are beautiful stoves to look at, but are very complex in terms of its “down draft” technology. Many moving parts that are very expensive to replace.

Going back to your issue with your stove. Did you vacuum the air passages on each side of the refractory box. A lot of debris tends to accumulate there. You will need a small hose to get down there.
Yes I did. I push a very flexible 1&1/4" shop vac hose down each side twice a year to clean those spaces out. I also check with a mirror to make sure they're clean. I'm very careful not to put any wear on the material as it is very easy to destroy.

I didn't mention earlier that I replaced the 1/4" gaskets on the door glass and also the larger gasket on the flue collar and bypass damper a few weeks ago. Stove is burning pretty well right now with outside temps in the low 40s. I just remember the stove having a 'roar' to it in years past even on the lowest thermostat setting and the house would get to 90 degrees on low even is was below freezing temps outside and now it seems to smolder more often and require more tending to keep the fire burning hot (smokeless at the chimney top). I have the thermostat about halfway right now.

The door glass gaskets I replaced were in bad shape and missing in a few spots. I'm wondering if the stove is now burning the way it should and maybe it was getting too much combustion air through the doors before?

I'll nurse it along for now but I'm having less and less trust with it. I'll be shopping for a replacement and don't mind spending money on the next stove. Best problem-free stove for the money? Blaze King? Jotul?

Last edited:
I am the owner of one; wish I knew about this forum as a newbie and perhaps would have purchased something else. That being said, I've learned how to run it and I two have ten years on mine.

We all know the equation is fuel + oxygen. Given what you described about the wood you're using I would further explore a problem with air flow. Just curious, what was the outside temp when you started burning. I never get a good burn unless we are dropping into the LOW 40s.

BTW, we had our first accumulating snow here in NH last night.
Low 40s here in central PA. This stove used to have us opening windows with freezing outdoor temps but something is just not right with it now.

Oh I remember the “roar” sounded like a freight train…..the back of the stove would get soooo hot it would glow dull read. It used to freak me out.
Your wood might not be as seasoned as you think, are you grabbing wood from a different pile? Or something failed internally within the combustion chamber.

Btw I would not put any more $$ into this stove. And you came to the right place to research your new stove!

Reactions: bholler
Oh I remember the “roar” sounded like a freight train…..the back of the stove would get soooo hot it would glow dull read. It used to freak me out.
Your wood might not be as seasoned as you think, are you grabbing wood from a different pile? Or something failed internally within the combustion chamber.
I'm sure about the wood. It was cut, split and stacked at least 3 years ago. I keep about 16 cords on hand and usually burn 3.5-4 cords per season.

Reactions: Diabel
Does anyone know if the new models of the same stove are worth a look? I saw one in a store recently but no one there knew much about their own product or the issues of the Encore non cat from 10-12 years ago.
The new ones are absolutely better. But still have many of the same issues

The new ones are absolutely better. But still have many of the same issues
Thank you. I want to get away from maintenance issues so it seems as though I need to go with another brand. Too bad because I absolutely love the look of our stove. And I also spent the extra money on matching midnight blue flue pipe.

I wondering. since we've had so much rain and humidity this past season, if your wood might be a bit damp?
Try setting a few splits on end, at a safe distance, around the stove for a day. It sounds like you know your stove and have run it with experience in the past. Wouldn't hurt to try ......

I wondering. since we've had so much rain and humidity this past season, if your wood might be a bit damp?
Try setting a few splits on end, at a safe distance, around the stove for a day. It sounds like you know your stove and have run it with experience in the past. Wouldn't hurt to try ......
I appreciate the advise but I'm certain the wood is adequately dry. What I'm burning has been in the garage for some time after sitting under roof for 3 years. Stove is working better and I'm thinking that it might have been burning hotter due to leaky gaskets. In other words, maybe it's working the way it should have been working and I got used to it getting too much combustion air through the door glass. ? Maybe?

Reactions: all night moe
I would nurse it through the winter than next year you will have a firm hold on what decision that you will make...and that midnight blue flue pipe just sounds "sexy"--lol...I bet when the temperature really takes a drop down that your stove will be roaring...See how easy for now you have all year to check out the newer stoves on the market..and with your skill level you might very well pick up a hot pink one..lol..Your wife and family would love that color..lol old clancey

I appreciate the advise but I'm certain the wood is adequately dry. What I'm burning has been in the garage for some time after sitting under roof for 3 years. Stove is working better and I'm thinking that it might have been burning hotter due to leaky gaskets. In other words, maybe it's working the way it should have been working and I got used to it getting too much combustion air through the door glass. ? Maybe?
I'm glad you expanded on how you've stored the wood over that time; I wondered what all night moe ended up asking.

Report out when you get below freezing. I'm curious about the outdoor ambient temp and drawing a draft.

Reactions: all night moe
I'm glad you expanded on how you've stored the wood over that time; I wondered what all night moe ended up asking.

Report out when you get below freezing. I'm curious about the outdoor ambient temp and drawing a draft.

257427384_10223525870287867_4465406753655968474_n.jpg

Yeah... it's sexy. :)

Reactions: clancey

My first impressions were that the wood was kept outside, under roof. I was curious if it was outside, in an airy wood shed, it could have collected some wet weather, being excessive rain or humidity.

I'm glad the OP clarified that after 3 years drying under roof, it was stored in his garage.