Vermont Castings insert trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wglord

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
NC
I have a Vermont Castings Winterwarm II insert that is giving me fits. I am getting downdrafts and incomplete combustion. I have cleaned the SS flexible liner in my 40 ft. chimney and cleaned the stove but I still get smoking and incomplete combustion. Actually it has always smoked when the door is opened unless the wood is completely burned. Vermont Castings is no help and the manual is no help. Any suggestion appreciated.

Wow, with that height of a chimney, you certainly should not be getting smoke out the doors! First thing.....just checking that your chimney is lined with 8" pipe as per the specs on that insert and that you are using the proper adapters, etc - in other words, nothing bending too much, or choking it down too much??

Could you describe the type of down drafts? Also, what do you mean by incomplete combustion?

How long have you had the unit, and how much wood do you use each year?

Hey, just checking! Ya never know. It does sound like somehow, you've still got a draft problem. How about answering craig's liner questions and we'll go from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.