Vermont Castings Intrepid Slow burn/ Draft problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

safinnart

Nov 28, 2018
Rhode Island
I just had a Vermont Castings Intrepid wood stove installed in my shop and I am having to leave the door open to keep it going. I have never had to do this with other stoves I have have used. ????? Temp outside is about 40 degrees now and I am burning very dry wood. Any suggestions?

if your wood is dry then 10 minutes after you put it in on a fire it shouldn't be hissing. how tall is your chimney and what size is it?

No hissing on the wood. The chimney is about 16 feet high. Thru the roof. I have to keep the door open to keep the draft going or the fire goes out. I have also opened a window to try that too. No avail.

it's time to check your chimney for blockage

did this happen from the get go or over time? when i started burning here in december of 2001 the chimney was like brand new spotless. it only took 3 weeks until i had a chimney fire that stretched out the top of the chimney 5 to 6 feet