Vermont Castings Madison coil thermostat rod broke off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vermont Castings Madison with the coil thermostat adjustment. When adjusting it the other day, the rod part broke off and I'm left with a piece still in the hole. I put some penetrating oil on it but can't seem to get a good enough grip to turn it out. I can sort of get a hold of it with a needle nose pliers, but not enough to unscrew it

I've never used a tap and die set, so I'm not confident I could redo the hole. Also, the rod is so small that I'm not sure an extractor would work.

Because it screws into the cast iron of the stove, does that make it more difficult?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated on getting the rod out of the hole?

Attachments

• P1010762.JPG
    P1010762.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 181
I've tried vice grips but can not get a hold of it. I can sort of get a hold of it with a very slender needle nose pliers but can not turn it. I even tried to turn it when we had a fire going, thinking the heat might help but still couldn't get it to turn.

This rod is probably only about 1/8" diameter. Is that too small for an extractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.