Vermont Castings Small Winter Warm Leaking Air Issues!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

knewbomb

Hearth Supporter
Mar 4, 2010
NE Ohio
I have a VC small winter warm insert. It is about 15 years old. I'm having an issue with it pulling air from somewhere. All of the door gaskets are good and were replaced about a year or so ago. I did the trick with a sheet of paper all around the door seals and they're nice and tight. What other gaskets are there that could be letting air in? I'm pretty handy and don't mind taking things apart and repairing / installing new gaskets. It's making me crazy that I can't regulate the airflow and I'm flying through wood! You folks have helped me in the past and I appreciate your time and advice!

Not familiar with your particular setup. In the past when I’ve looked for leaks in wood stoves:

1. Empty the firebox and all ashes (i.e. cold and empty stove)

2. Set a very bright unidirectional battery powered lantern set inside the stove with the room as dark as it can be.

3. look for light leaks.

Not sure if that’ll help you, but it’s a technique I’ve used successfully in the past.

I had the winter warm large insert and had similar problems. These inserts are constructed from cast iron pieces bolted together with cement sealing the seams. The seams can start leaking over time and at that point the needs to be be rebuilt. I tried to find somebody to repair it but was unsuccessful. I just replaced mine. Some others here might know more about rebuilding these inserts.
Good luck!