Vermont Castings Used Stove - Newbie Question!

specialtg Posted By specialtg, May 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM

1. specialtg

specialtg
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern Vermont
    Hello!
    New wood burner here...well sort of new. We have been burning pellets in our Harman for 10 years and just did a season of coal burning in an antique stove parlor stove.
    However, we are looking to switch to wood as our primary heat source. We found a Vermont Casting Defiant. Its listed at $250. However, the exterior has some light gray on it.
    Is this a sign of over firing?
    Nothing appears warped. The interior of where the gray is looks fine.
    Wondering what your thoughts are.
    Thank you in advance
    Theresa J

2. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    In what year was this stove made?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. specialtg

specialtg
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern Vermont
    I am not sure. The models changed over the years?

4. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    Yes I am afraid they did. For example I bought a 1988 VC Resolute brand new in 1988, this was the premier wood stove on the market. I burned it for 6 years and sold it with the house that it was in. Great wood stove.

In 1992 and 1993 there was a revolution in wood stoves as the EPA mandated lower emissions, all stove companies had to change their stoves completely to comply.
    VC went in to the crapper at that time, changed ownership several times, today, I wouldn't own a new VC if you gave it to me.
    You can read lengthy sad stories on this forum about recent model VC stoves.

I would like to have my old '88 Resolute back, however. That was a great stove.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    post a picture of it if you can

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Had a 1979 Resolute, the first year they made them I think. It was a fine stove, very reliable and nice thermostatic operation. Was sad to sell it, but it went to a good home, shipped up on a barge to Alaska.

7. defiant3

defiant3
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2010
    Loc:
    No. NH
    Canyou post pic.s of interior, and also left side w door open? Get the entire left side in the photo.

8. specialtg

specialtg
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern Vermont
  9. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    VERMONT CASTINGS PARLOR FURNACE

Damn, that is so cool, I just love the old Vermont Castings. Looks like a date of 1976 but that may not be the date of manufacture. Looks like an old Defiant to me.

Someone more knowledgable will chime in.

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, 1976 is the casting mold date. It needs a new upper and lower fireback in the least. Other parts in the flame path should be closely examined for warping and cracking.

11. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    that is a defiant 1 that's going to need a left side also. not sure about the damper rod and damper itself.
    the upper, lower and siide are a minimum of $550. the light grey is from a leaking door gasket. mine did the same thing. careful the door on the right warps and doesn't seal even with a new gasket