Vermont DD down drafter bi metallic thermostat location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jones93

Nov 22, 2020
Wisconsin
So I’ve had two of these wood stoves the first one had the bi metallic coil down on the back in the secondary burn chamber my other one ( one I currently use) has it up on the flew pipe. Which location would make more sense? Seems being on the flew as the secondary burn settles out over night and the pipe cools it just adds more air and sometimes if I don’t go back about midnight and set it down it gets way hotter than I want it. I’m thinking if I move it to the secondary chamber back it’ll be able to hold a more consistent temp? Added a couple pics of the stove from some old adds

45DF8523-9D32-4073-9F91-049C92DDCB7A.png 1B41534F-9967-40A4-AA19-9E302A613547.jpeg

the bimetallic spring in the back should be your primary air control. i don't know if you want to use the connector pipe damper (flue pipe ) if you are running in down draft mode. might slow it down to much. (smoke) and create some creosote for a chimney fire. unless you have a very tall chimney. i have a spring on my vermont castings defiant. i set it at 600 cooking plate temp and leave it. when firing the stove up the spring closes automatically. sometimes if timed just right the initial firing goes up to 700 to 800 but backs down fairly quickly to my 600 setting. when your awake sometime load it heavy and watch your temp in about a hour and it should be in the max of where it is going to be make your adjustment from there and leave it so you won't have to worry about it.

I'll give the disclaimer that I have no idea. Just curious, Wouldn't they have designed the thermostats relative to the location? Meaning, the flue stat may have a lighter spring than the one on the back?

i've never heard of a spring on a connector pipe. there was a time that vermont castings put a spring on the primary air and one on the secondary air. they worked opposite each other. when lighting the stove secondary would be closed and primary wide open. when the stove got hot the primary would start closing and the secondary would start opening. i personally haven't seen this but there was a member that had this

Thanks for input I think we’re going to move it to the back of the stove with it on the pipe it seems to drop the air flap too soon then as the fire coals down the stove will get way hotter then I want because as you guys know once the fire is down to coals and the secondary is burned out the flew temp is going to fall, maybe my spring is just worn out idk these use a much larger one than say a defiant