Very Hot Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSmith99

Oct 31, 2015
illinois
We had a gas fireplace installed a few years ago and I have always been concerned that the wall above it gets very hot. Due to its placement beneath an air return for the furnace, the venting was installed with a couple of 90 degree elbows. It was professionally installed, and inspect several times by the village during the process, but I still wonder. Does it look okay?
fireplace2.jpg
fireplace5.jpg

Welcome. Horizontal runs of flue pipe can radiate a lot of heat. It's amazing that neither the pro or inspector didn't know mechanical code and point out that the return grille needs to be at least 10 ft away from the fireplace.

My first thought when setting the pics was the same as begreen. That the heat from the fireplace would have adverse effect on the cold air return.
I've installed some long horizontal runs of venting. As long the installer has followed manufacturer specifications, it should be no problem.

Installed a gas fireplace in a spec home that I built. IIRC the air clearance above the unit was more than 18". Even at that distance we lined the FP opening with 1/2 cement board. When finished that unit would throw some heat yet the wall above still got very hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.