Very Squeaky Door Hinge - Best Remedy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Someone suggested powdered graphite but from my experience graphite attracts dust.
I tried Dry Moly which does not attract dust but it did not seamed to last long. Automotive door hinge grease maybe another solution. I also hear McLube works.

However after a little
research in the carpenter world, I discovered pure beeswax available at Rockler. I said to my Honey, I will try the Bees Wax!
Purified Beeswax | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

So I banged out the pins and buffed them up and I am giving the Bees a chance? The wax is very hard and may last quite a while!

Before BeesWax

After BeesWax

Anyone else have a good long term solution?

Pic 1 - Pure BeesWax (not exactly the one pictured on the web site but the same price! :))
Pic 2 - Bang out the hinge pin
Pic 3 - buff pin clean on wire wheel
Pic 4 - add BeesWax and push back in. :)
So far no squeaks :)- see vid 2

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I encountered a sticking and squeaking sliding glass door problem and did some research. The youtube clip below explains that any petroleum based spray lubricant like WD 40 will cause dust buildup. He recommends a silicone based product. The carrier will evaporate cleanly, and the silicon will hopefully not attract dust buildup. Sounds good to me. I understand that silicone is not good for wood, as it can streak any finish being applied.

Reactions: Don2222
If your going to use beeswax buy a toilet seal from lowes or HD. They are not pure beeswax but they are close enough I'm sure for what your doing. I used them to fill in the breaks in my pool table worked great are not really that sticky. The cheapest one is $2.

For doors I just use petroleum jelly doesn't stink and unless your crazy with it does not collect much dust. You probably could use KY too although I havent tried it on a hinge :)

I hate WD 40 as a solution it stinks for days.

Hands down, the best stuff you can get for simple things like this. I LOVE it for any type of moving open bearing (garage door rollers), chain..anything. Try it. You can pick it up at Walmart.

Unlike WD-40, you can use it sparingly.

If you are using WD-40 as a long lasting lubricant, you are misusing it. That's not what it is made for. Use it as a topical coating to prevent rust and restore looks on things like your lawn mower, dirt bike or atv. It works great cleaning things in places you would normally use diesel or kerosene.

31qHmUXHh6L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: heat seeker
I encountered a sticking and squeaking sliding glass door problem and did some research. The youtube clip below explains that any petroleum based spray lubricant like WD 40 will cause dust buildup. He recommends a silicone based product. The carrier will evaporate cleanly, and the silicon will hopefully not attract dust buildup. Sounds good to me. I understand that silicone is not good for wood, as it can streak any finish being applied.

Silicon does attract dirt and it is an absolute nightmare if you get it on anything you will ever want to paint or stain. It is so bad that even silicon suction cups are banned in facilities that do any painting, like automotive manufacturing.

bear fat.

Never-seze, just remember, only use the absolute bare minimum

Cabinet makers use candle wax
always shot chunks laying around the house

I use the wax that comes in a brick for sealing canning jars. Drawer slides, hand saws, wood screws. In a pinch you can even rub it down with wax paper. (both are paraffin, petroleum based)

Last edited:
pledge will also work...

Update!
The Bees Wax was an old carpenter trick that did help for a while. It does pick up dirt and gets harder. So now they are back squeaking again. So this time I got something more binding! Not the cheap generic brand, not the name brand bargain can, not even the middle of the road works in many cases brand! I pulled out all the stops and went all in on the top of the line Premium High Temperature Stainless Steel Never-Seez!!! Maybe this time, for the first time, we will win??
Pic 1. Clean
Pic 2. Paste
Pic 3. Install
Hopefully this will make for a nice quieter Memorial Day weekend! LOL

9CD12F5B-374A-41A0-9838-60BB2A67C133.jpeg 4EC821B3-1E3F-4730-866A-0E4E3ADD52A9.jpeg 5E7E306D-E8EC-4512-97BB-4F933A3706C1.jpeg

Last edited:

WD-40 is not a good lubricant and it stinks. I never use the stuff except as a penetrant but always have a can of spray silicone handy. It works great to remove squeaks, accumulates no dust, and is safe for plastics. I use it on the sliding track of the van's side doors too. I have not had a streaking issue, but I can see that happening perhaps on an unfinished piece of wood.

The other thing silicone is really good for is waterproofing. It is non conducting so I used it to spray the inside of the distributor cap on my old Saab 96s which could get cranky in rainy weather.

Last edited:
If a door has a chronic squeak that keeps coming back after lubricating the hinges then its probable that the hinge pins are not coaxial with each other. Check the door jamb for plumb in both directions and make sure the hinges are aligned to the jamb.