Vigilant clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willys1960

Nov 18, 2015
New Hampshire
hello all,
Working on getting my first stove installed on our new home, a Vigilant from 1979. I have a manual from 1979 that says rear clearance with a heat shield need to be 18". Another manual from 1986 says only 14" is needed.
Does anyone know what changed between 1979 and 1986 that caused this change? Was it an improvement in the stove or the heat shield? Can I get away with 14" with a more modern heat shield?

Thanks so much!

You'll need to go by the manual for that year stove. Is this a corner install or flat wall?

An NFPA 211 ventilated wall shield could be put up for a substantial reduction. This is what the manual refers to as a protected wall.

Last edited:
Thank so much. I'm hoping for a corner installation, but the 18" clearance with heat shield basically puts the stove in the middle of the room. It actually recommends 36" without any protection.
One more question on this topic. My 1979 manual does not talk about a protected wall, but rather a heat shield that looks to have been an option for the stove, rather than an installation against the wall. Specifically it says "The optional heat shield is placed 2" from the back of the of the stove and acts as a barrier to radiant energy". It seems that is different than the NFPA 211 protected wall that you mention. In doing a little research it looks like by installing the right protected wall I could cut down the clearance by 66% according to NFPA, which would get me down to about 12". Am I reading this correctly or should I err on the side of caution and stick with 18"?

Does your stove have the rear heatshield? If so you can get the corner clearance with a proper protected wall down to 14" with single wall pipe and 10" with double wall stove pipe. (Double-wall stove pipe is a shielded pipe.) Note that this measurement is to the combustible wall behind the NFPA211 wall shield. The key to closer clearances here is to have a rear heat shield on the stove and a properly built NFPA 211 wall shield built to the dimensions noted in the installation manual.
Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 8.39.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.