Vigilant I thermostat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ovie832

Aug 25, 2021
PA
Hi guys. Started our first long burn of the season last night. Have had the stove a year with no issues. (It was a new old stock vigilant I had found from a guy who used to run a store)

Woke up this morning and the thermostat feels ‘loose’. Won’t really keep the flapper open. Is it normal to need adjustment now and then? Did the coil swell too much? Have had no issues up to this point.

Between the body of the stove and the bi- metal coil on the thermostat there should be a spring. Maybe missing?
Any signs to show that it’s bad?

9DDAFB69-8B7E-414D-90F2-12B07B438FD1.jpeg

That spring is TOAST, dude. Woodman's parts Plus would have one and they could send it right to you. Maybe give them a call this week? Since you're at it I would order a new thermostat as well. That one looks fine, but it's old. And it's really no fun when they fail midwinter.
Thank you very much my man for the info. Just Ordered a new spring and thermostat.. appreciate the help!! Crisis averted to have it happen now and not mid January like you said LOL

Since we're on the subject of the Vigilant thermostat I have an issue. My stove is from 1981. Use it every year. This year the thermostat wasn't working right so I ordered one. Part number 5005483. Didn't notice at first but the rod has a different bend to it unlike the original, and interferes with the heat shield attached to the back of the stove. Checking the part number at a few different sources shows it is the right one for the Vigilant. Anyone have an issue like this or suggest where to find one that will fit like the original?

Nope, that's just how they are now. Feel free to bend the lever as needed though, that's ok.
I already tried doing that. I didn't get it to bend, it's very strong. And I managed to bend the coil out of shape. But it went back OK. I never paid attention to how it really works. But it appears when you move the lever your moving the threaded shaft inside the threaded hole in the stove. After 40 or so years the hole with the threads is no longer smooth and with the lever pointed away from the stove at an angle it is binding at times. My guess is the threads are 10-24. I could run a tap in if I could confirm that. One false move and the stove is useless.

Yep, 10-24. I assume the tension spring is still good? I often add a small washer between the spring and the coil to make it operate a bit smoother.

Yep, 10-24. I assume the tension spring is still good? I often add a small washer between the spring and the coil to make it operate a bit smoother.
Thanks for the info. I'll add the washer and see if that helps.

We're in for some cold weather for a few days so I may wait till that passes.

The threads in my Resolute are so worn and the thermostat fit so sloppy I’m considering a Helicoil. I’ve managed to get a nut on the threaded end of the thermostat but if that fails then I’m going the Helicoil route.

A little bit of heat on the shaft with a mapp torch or oxy accetylene torch will let you bend it into a pretzel. ;)

I use a jewlery tip on my torch set, it makes a very small heat affected zone.