Vigilant leaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can try to use a caulk gun & force some furnace cement into the gaps, but that’s just a temporary fix, IF it even works. The best way is to tear the stove down, clean out the remaining cement & reseal with new. You will need new tie rods, & probably gaskets, if you do tear it down.

You can try to use a caulk gun & force some furnace cement into the gaps, but that’s just a temporary fix, IF it even works. The best way is to tear the stove down, clean out the remaining cement & reseal with new. You will need new tie rods, & probably gaskets, if you do tear it down.
ok thank you. Will high heat silicone work any better?

Actually not so much with the silicone, Rutland brand Furnace Cement is a long time fav of mine. I'd go with that!

Thank you for the responses. I have taken the the whole stove apart & cleaned all of the joints very good. I am going to use refractory cement to reassemble it. How long should I wait to fire it up after reassembly? The directions on the cement container does not say.

Defiant3 thank you for your information. I have bought what you suggested. I have the stove all back together. How long should I wait to burn in it? If I did everything correctly with the rebuild, how long will it typically last before another rebuild? This is my first VC. will it be airtight after the rebuild?

Yeah, give it 3-4 days indoors at room temp before having break in fires. (consult the manual for break in.). Put sand in the bottom, be ready for stinky paint smell if you painted it. Should be tight if you did your bit, good for maybe 50-60 cords of wood? We'll see...

Reactions: Turkey66