Q&A Vigilant Wood burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I enjoyed reading your articles on wood burning. My life long dream of owning a wood burning stove came into fruition yesterday when I finally got my chimney installed. I bought an almost unused Vigilant stove made by Vermont Casting. I am now told that it is no longer manufactured- would you know why?I also would like to replace the metal doors with glass doors- where can I purchase same?

Answer:

They still make the Vigilant- but only in a coal burning model. When clean burning standards were introduced in the US (1990), Vermont Castings decided to build new stoves from the ground up- instead of redesigning their existing ones.You cannot easily retrofit the Vigilant with glass doors. Later models did have a glass door option (these models had removable cast panels in each door)
http://www.vermontcastings.com

Link: Vermont Castings

Status
Not open for further replies.