Vinegar for weed control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After 24 hours it has been absorbed into the weed and is pretty much gone.. It never cause a problem for my animals but i did not let my dogs eat the grass since they always puked it back up, and that's not from the weed killer.

I guess all of us in our 50's survived pretty well with our parents out their spraying some pretty toxic stuff, i lived around farmers fields that were sprayed every year.. . The little bit of skin contact you may get is not going to do a thing
Well i've had my prostate removed, and have a boarderline lymphoma. What caused this IDK.
But you certainly can Not tell me you know for sure that weed killers were Not a contributor.

Reactions: JRP3
Well most of us in out 40's50's and up lived a long healthy life wit next to no precaution's when using this stuff back in the day.. You did not see more health issue until they started putting more crap in our foods to preserve them.. To each their own and everyone has their own way of doing things no real wrong or right..

Reactions: fbelec
and if you eat this and not that you'll live longer:confused: just because you eat this and not that doesn't mean squat. one guy smokes for 50 years and nothing happens the other guy lives next door and eats the same thing breathes the same air and smokes and he comes down with lung cancer after 5 years of smoking. you either have good genes or you don't that's my .02 cents

Isolated anecdotes do not negate data. There are clear behavior choices within your control that will statistically improve your health and potential longevity, genetics are only part of the picture.

and if you eat this and not that you'll live longer:confused: just because you eat this and not that doesn't mean squat. one guy smokes for 50 years and nothing happens the other guy lives next door and eats the same thing breathes the same air and smokes and he comes down with lung cancer after 5 years of smoking. you either have good genes or you don't that's my .02 cents
Are you a doctor or health researcher?

Reactions: JRP3

2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid is the active ingredient in Killex that was mentioned earlier. It's been widely used for the past 60 years and is generally regarded as safe, although is considered by some groups to be a possible carcinogen. I think the largest danger posed by it is contamination of product produced in China, as some has been discovered to contain Dioxins.

Par 3 is also a common name it is sold under, and is used extensively by golf courses to control broadleaf weeds.

We don't let our pets or kids on grass treated with it for at least 3 days, but after that the risk is pretty minimal.

Plenty of places advocate for vinegar, dish detergent and salt to kill young weeds (one link - there are plenty if you google it). However, it won't really kill more mature weeds. I've tried it, and didn't have much success - maybe because some of the action also requires bright sun to help it work.

Bleach can also kill weeds, as can baking soda or salt. But, be aware that any of these solutions can kill everything it is applied to, and have negative health and/or local environmental consequences (although not as bad as labeled poisons).
Same here. The weeds sprung back soon and this was using 30% strength vinegar.

I would say neither. But the fact is this is what is happening
You expressed an opinion, not a fact. Facts show clear trends, anecdotes do not. Facts don't say every smoker will get cancer but the facts do show that smokers are more likely to get cancer.

I just mow with a mulcher (not too short) and let the grass grow tall every now and then. This simulates the grazing that happens in my pastures and the weeds get out competed to a tolerable level. I have better things to do than fuss about a perfect yard.

I am also not a fan of spraying for weeds.

Last edited:
You expressed an opinion, not a fact. Facts show clear trends, anecdotes do not. Facts don't say every smoker will get cancer but the facts do show that smokers are more likely to get cancer.
you win

The facts cannot even prove that smoking will give you cancer, according to the facts everything in the world will give you cancer if you read the fine print

The facts cannot even prove that smoking will give you cancer,
I explained that, it's a simple concept.

, according to the facts everything in the world will give you cancer if you read the fine print
False. Your attitude is an abdication of responsibility for your own actions and self justification for not taking control of your life and taking beneficial measures.

Too much vinegar in this thread. Well over 30% by this point. Shutting it down.

Reactions: caseywheels
Status
Not open for further replies.