Vintage Blaze King catalyst KEJ question ?..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justart

Nov 20, 2017
Olympia, Washington
Hi I have a Vintage Blaze King catalyst KEJ It is HUGE!! Anyways I am hoping that someone can tell me what the hole is for? The hole is on the side if the stove you can see in the first picture, the second picture is a close up of the hole ? A screen hanger ? or a air vent ? or?.. I am at a loss!.. 3rd picture is the stove , the 4th picture is the other side of the stove . any information would be greatly appreciated!! thank you for looking!

POST 2.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20230221_202104000.jpg POST 1.jpg POST SIDE 555.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very early catalytic model. That hole has a pipe that funnels room air to the combustor. Unfortunately, the distance of travel for room air was not sufficient to warm before hitting the combustor, making thermal shock possible. If you wish to discuss the model further, reach out by phone or pm as I'm running to catch a flight...

Thank you so much BKVP!!!.have a safe flight .. do you know anywhere that I can find a gold Top rail for another large blaze king ? I can only find black rails online.. thanks again Randy..

Thank you so much BKVP!!!.have a safe flight .. do you know anywhere that I can find a gold Top rail for another large blaze king ? I can only find black rails online.. thanks again Randy..
Grab the black! We haven't made them in years...