Vinyl Flooring with wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hdgriff

Feb 21, 2021
New Hampshire
Hi, I currently have a wood stove in my kitchen on top of slate which is code or at least it was 20 years ago. The rest of the kitchen floor is vinyl. I would like to replace the entire floor with vinyl planks. My question is, could I install vinyl throughout including under the wood stove and use a heat protector on top of the vinyl for the wood stove? Photo shows the two different types of flooring, due to the location I would really like them to be the same floor.

C1B06E23-FCAE-41DA-AA46-C3331A7D9EA7.jpeg

The vinyl plank I have installed has a low temp requirement for radiant floor heat. The floor heat system has built in protection option with a floor temp max of 85 degrees I think. So check your floor specs too.
Evan

If you have your manual, you can find what insulation value you need for a pad under the stove before any combustible (which includes vinyl) is reached. And if it's not written there, there should be a standard R value (like standard clearances on unrated stoves). Do that, and you should be safe.

Reactions: EbS-P
I would start with the hearth specs for the stove. Assuming you can find. They vary greatly, from non flammable ember protection to some R value. But I wouldn't think you should get that flooring near the stove.

The vinyl plank I have installed has a low temp requirement for radiant floor heat. The floor heat system has built in protection option with a floor temp max of 85 degrees I think. So check your floor specs too.
Evan
85 degree water in my floors and I'd freeze to death. LOL.

Just plop a premanufactured hearth pad on top of the vinyl, carpet, wood, whatever. Some stoves only require ember protection so a sheet of metal or glass would work. I’ve never heard of a stove that allowed a combustible surface like vinyl directly underneath,

Thank you so much for this! We rarely use the wood stove but since it is there I want it to be safe to use. The last time we used it was the ice storm in 2011 when we lost power for two weeks and were very happy to have it so I do want to keep it useable, you never know what will happen with New England weather!