Vogelzang 5770 pot fills with unburned pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crosbytr

Dec 9, 2020
PA
Ive been trying to figure this out since last year. My stove will burn fine on level 1 or 2 for at least a couple of days. When I burn at 3 or higher the pot fills with unburned pellets. I have checked the following already:
1. Cleaned everything I could find (chimney, burn pot and underneath, both side ports with a hose to get to the top)
2. Cleaned flu pipe (some dirt, but wide open)
3. Took apart combustion and fan blower and cleaned dust
4. Replaced stove door gasket
5. Combustion motor and fan motor both seem to run as normal
6. Tried burning with fresh air damper almost closed to fully open and a couple of positions in between
7. Drilled a couple of extra air flow holes in the bottom of the pot as recommended elsewhere
8. Tried 2 different brands of pellets from 2 different pallets
9. Tried checking the auger timing but not exactly sure what it should be, I’ve seen different numbers on different posts
10. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the airflow, but I can’t completely disassemble the stove to clean everything every week. I vacuum the pot and everything accessible about every other day. When burning in 3+, I check it throughout the day and even tried vacuuming daily. It does seem like the ash is sitting in the pot and gets hard on the bottom which causes the pellets to eventually not burn. Picture attached.
i should also add the the window gets black quickly (within 6 hours or so from starting)

The fire seems to burn fine when I first start it up but after about 12 hours, it builds up.

126E8783-F5AF-4402-A365-A333E820185F.jpeg 8D87B419-6241-47C3-9DF4-D95D770DB766.jpeg

On one hand it looks like you have enough draft from all the partially burnt pellets that has popped out of the pot. But the the remainder of the pot looks like it was starving for air and burned poorly. When you have it running can you snap some pics of the flame and the brands of pellets you have used.

Started it again. Here is a video of the flame and pellets. I have 3 pallets still so I’d like to finish them off.
this is on burner level 3, air intake full open.

Attachments

• 3B3D86BD-4799-4F53-9C99-14909C597904.jpeg
    3B3D86BD-4799-4F53-9C99-14909C597904.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 289
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    18.9 MB
well my player will not play that .mov without buying the codec. so im gonna post a pic of the flames with discriptions.

B65D6C16-DBF1-4299-B880-4F0DF9C7B0C3.png

Do you have an outside air kit? It could be that the higher settings require more air than can be drawn from the house. And the longer you burn the worse it gets. Outside air made a huge difference with mine.

The previous pellets I burned would build up crap in the pot like that every 1-2 days, but that was primarily on the lower settings.

Mine will now run 1-2 weeks on any setting and the pot stays clean enough to freely flow air with no plugged holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
Do you have an outside air kit? It could be that the higher settings require more air than can be drawn from the house. And the longer you burn the worse it gets. Outside air made a huge difference with mine.

The previous pellets I burned would build up crap in the pot like that every 1-2 days, but that was primarily on the lower settings.

Mine will now run 1-2 weeks on any setting and the pot stays clean enough to freely flow air with no plugged holes.

well my player will not play that .mov without buying the codec. so im gonna post a pic of the flames with discriptions.

View attachment 268937
By the pictures I would almost say it isn’t getting enough air, but the valve/damper is fully open. Attached are pictures of the flame after about 12 hours. I did clean the glass off before taking the pictures.

Attachments

• F2F61B4C-9526-4B57-AC03-C9BFBD490BF0.jpeg
    F2F61B4C-9526-4B57-AC03-C9BFBD490BF0.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 311
  • 2EC22BC3-E33A-4B60-B536-3B7FF99D773F.jpeg
    2EC22BC3-E33A-4B60-B536-3B7FF99D773F.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 207
I removed the outside air line when all this started. I figured it was worse if it ran with it. Without it, the stove can get all the air it wants. I will gladly try connecting the lines again and seeing what happens. You can see the pictures I just posted above and here is another of what the pot looks like after the 12 hour burn. You can see how the ash is packed into the bottom of the pot. I did dump it out and this is what was stuck in the bottom.

Attachments

• 4D2C6FA4-B89A-40DB-8F90-E8BD0DFE0B5D.jpeg
    4D2C6FA4-B89A-40DB-8F90-E8BD0DFE0B5D.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 169
Just cleaned and started up again. Here is the picture of the flame after startup. Reinstalled the outside air intake.

Attachments

• 9B7D250F-11C9-4B1C-AB64-9715538FE401.jpeg
    9B7D250F-11C9-4B1C-AB64-9715538FE401.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 21E2838A-BF5C-4048-9A9F-7FC163678D5F.jpeg
    21E2838A-BF5C-4048-9A9F-7FC163678D5F.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 152
i know this is going to be a pain but take a flashlight and look into the intake tube in the back ad see if there is a blockage. you didn't say if you cleaned the inner chambers in the firebox area (remove panels and clean )? is the damper rod still connected to the slide damper, is the slide damaged?

i know this is going to be a pain but take a flashlight and look into the intake tube in the back ad see if there is a blockage. you didn't say if you cleaned the inner chambers in the firebox area (remove panels and clean )? is the damper rod still connected to the slide damper, is the slide damaged?

Yes and you might be able to get a thin dryer lint brush or something similar through it. It should be a straight tube from the back to under the burn pot.

Yes and you might be able to get a thin dryer lint brush or something similar through it. It should be a straight tube from the back to under the burn pot.
I still have all of the side panels off right now until I get it working. yes I cleaned the ports on the sides. I just cleaned them again tonight and the ash level was about 1/2 way up the opening.
I haven’t checked the intake since I had it apart a few weeks ago but the air intake is completely clear and the damper is connected. I can put my finger in the hole and feel it move when I adjust the damper. Im
Hoping it was the outside air, but if not, it will fill with pellets again in about 12-18 hours and I’ll have to shut it down again to clean it out. I’ll check the air intake again when I do that.

Appreciate the suggestions, this worked fine for about 2 years or so. I used to clean it every other day and sometimes every third day if it was always on low. Never had this issue. Burning it on level 1 or 2 just isn’t enough heat to really do anything.

What is the other brand of pellets you tried? And are you using fresh pellets from the store, or pellets from your stash that may have absorbed moisture since last year?

The pellets I burn work amazing in this stove. I think in PA you have Barefoot pellets which are similar specs. Per the specs, both appear to be better than the green team pellets.

All houses vary but at 30f I can keep it 70 in here on the lowest setting, 75 at the stove. My old pellets were like you described, just couldn’t seem to get good heat without cranking it up, and had to clean it constantly. In mid February it was hopeless. Now, last weekend I cleaned it after running it 24/7 for 2 weeks on low. Burn pot still was free breathing, firebox was maybe halfway to the top of the pot frame on each side, side ash traps were maybe halfway up the opening. I’ll clean the pipe every month or two and the blower housing and other passages at that time.

Last edited:
I removed the outside air line when all this started. I figured it was worse if it ran with it. Without it, the stove can get all the air it wants. I will gladly try connecting the lines again and seeing what happens. You can see the pictures I just posted above and here is another of what the pot looks like after the 12 hour burn. You can see how the ash is packed into the bottom of the pot. I did dump it out and this is what was stuck in the bottom.
That burn pot is loaded with hard carbon. Take the entire pot and put it in a bucket of hot water and let it soak for 30 minutes and take a putty knife and chip of the now loosened hard carbon. Might help your cause. Hard carbon builds up because of too little combustion air.

Reactions: fmsm and johneh
Something else you might try if you are able to is getting the draft fan to run constantly for a while. If things improve or clear up, then you know you have an airflow issue somewhere. The draft fan may even be starting to go out.

I have always found this to be a issue with the stove not being cleaned, I know you said you cleaned and I have thought the same and then I clean it again and everything is great. I have had to use an air compressor and really blow everything out. I also get a much better burn after I installed the klinkerking extension on the burn pot.

What is the other brand of pellets you tried? And are you using fresh pellets from the store, or pellets from your stash that may have absorbed moisture since last year?

The pellets I burn work amazing in this stove. I think in PA you have Barefoot pellets which are similar specs. Per the specs, both appear to be better than the green team pellets.

All houses vary but at 30f I can keep it 70 in here on the lowest setting, 75 at the stove. My old pellets were like you described, just couldn’t seem to get good heat without cranking it up, and had to clean it constantly. In mid February it was hopeless. Now, last weekend I cleaned it after running it 24/7 for 2 weeks on low. Burn pot still was free breathing, firebox was maybe halfway to the top of the pot frame on each side, side ash traps were maybe halfway up the opening. I’ll clean the pipe every month or two and the blower housing and other passages at that time.
I tried Lignetics (sp?) from Ace hardware. When I tried them last year, they were all new. I still had 3.5 pallets in the garage from last year and that what I'm burning now. These are the ones from Lowes. Been using them for 2 years and haven't had an issue with them so far until now.

I have always found this to be a issue with the stove not being cleaned, I know you said you cleaned and I have thought the same and then I clean it again and everything is great. I have had to use an air compressor and really blow everything out. I also get a much better burn after I installed the klinkerking extension on the burn pot.
I haven't used an air compressor, but I have an attachment I built for the vacuum to get into the hard to reach areas. I did everything except take a wire brush to the inside. If I have to wire brush it constantly, it's not worth the effort. I understand the need to vacuum it every other day and even pull the side panels off every few weeks to get in there, but it should be able to run more than 24 hours without overflowing the pot.
This is relatively recent issue (since February-ish). I was hoping someone had the same problems and had a fix.

Something else you might try if you are able to is getting the draft fan to run constantly for a while. If things improve or clear up, then you know you have an airflow issue somewhere. The draft fan may even be starting to go out.
You're referring to the combustion motor? If so, it is always running when the stove is on. The blower to dispurse the heat is the only one that isn't always running. Once the stove starts up and has a good free, it turns on and never turns off. I have no way of measuring the actual airflow on either one, but voltages look fine. I tried timing the auger, but I don't have anything to really say what it should be. I used the specs for the 5790 (I think) I found elsewhere on this board.

That burn pot is loaded with hard carbon. Take the entire pot and put it in a bucket of hot water and let it soak for 30 minutes and take a putty knife and chip of the now loosened hard carbon. Might help your cause. Hard carbon builds up because of too little combustion air.
I'll try anything at this point.

Here are a few more recent pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7122.JPG
    IMG_7122.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_7123.JPG
    IMG_7123.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7124.JPG
    IMG_7124.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7125.JPG
    IMG_7125.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 160
I forgot to say I did look into the intake and it was clear into the firebox.

I understand you don't want to do a full cleaning often, I do it twice a year where I really go all out on it other wise it is a quick cleaning. I am suggesting that you give a full cleaning now, Remove motors clean chimmeny blow out every passage you can think of and then try it. After doing that and if you still are having issues pic up a few bags of another brand pellet or fresh bags of your current and try that. You can check the timing of auger motor as well as it may be over feeding up usually with that situation the stove will be burning very hot. I have been there with this stove a few times and it usually came down to it just need a good cleaning.

Reactions: Ssyko
I did a complete cleaning today. Removed the combustion motor and cleaned the fan blades, cleaned the exhaust pipe, cleaned everything I can get to with a vacuum and some compressed air. I took the burn pot and soaked it to get everything off. It took a scraper and screwdriver to get everything off. I even wiped the inside down to make sure there was nothing left. Started it up a few minutes ago on level 4. I'll see what happens.
Thank you everyone for ideas.

Reactions: Joe.G
I found my issue was between exhaust fan and the unit, not going to the chimney , Its a hard spot to get to. Let us know how it goes and get the draft set right.