Vogelzang Boxwood inside of a stone fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T.J.M

Feb 10, 2013
Hello,

I am currently living in an old rental house with a stone fireplace. I’ve had numerous fires in the fireplace since I have moved here, but the fireplace does not put out any heat at all. It even has hinged glass doors with an adjustable vent at the bottom. I am assuming that all of the heat is going up the chimney and something is not set up correctly.

Since I am renting this house and I don’t want to do any costly improvements. I had the idea of installing a Vogelzang Boxwood wood burning stove inside of the fireplace. I checked the dimensions of the stove and it should fit inside the fireplace, and I would not have to remove the glass doors if I just leave them in the open position. I really want a fireplace/wood burning stove as a heat source because I have an endless supply of firewood. Also I live in a very damp climate, so I could benefit from the stove drying out my house.

My question to this forum is… Can I put a Vogelzang Boxwood stove inside of my stone fireplace? If so, can I just run a 3 foot piece of pipe to start the smoke up the chimney?

Thank you very much for your time!

Yes and yes . . . but I suspect there aren't too many people who will suggest going with the Boxwood stove or doing the slammer install.

Yes and yes . . . but I suspect there aren't too many people who will suggest going with the Boxwood stove or doing the slammer install.

The boxwood is not the best of stoves but it is cheap and works. It can easily get out of control and has short time periods between reloads. Be careful with it. The only way I would consider using one is completely surrounded by a masonry fireplace with strict adherence to clearances.

I think you would be better off looking for something used on CraigsList for about the same money. A slammer install has no pipe at all and was only used with inserts. They are no longer legal in most places. The pipe install you describe is called a "direct connect" vent. The steel liner goes a couple of feet above the old smoke shelf into the tile liner. Legal but a pain to clean and if the actual flue is too large it will be hard to maintain a good draft. A stainless steel liner to the top is the best bet. If the masonry chimney is old and has any defects an insulated stainless steel liner is the only way to go.

KaptJaq

I guess I don't see why all the heat from the Vogelzang wouldn't just go up the chimney too, unless you put in some kind of block-off plate around the flue pipe. If the stove sits inside the fireplace, most of the heat will either go up or be absorbed by the fireplace bricks, rather than radiating into the room.

I understand your frustration, but I'm not sure this would solve your problem.

In order to just stub up into the chimney I think you must install a damper-sealing block-off plate.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

As noted, the boxwood's construction quality leaves a bit to be desired. It is hard to control and the castings can be poor. The can make burning in the stove a challenge. Not fun in a home. You might look for good used box style stoves as an alternative.

Before starting I have to ask, is this a full masonry fireplace or a zero-clearance unit?

Thank you everyone for the informative replies. I truly do appreciate it.

Begreen- The fireplace is a full masonry fireplace. I live in house build in the 1920's and the fireplace is made out of local stone. It is very large and goes from foundation to chimney.

Thank you!

If you can find a good condition Jotul F118, Lange 6302, Morso 2, Energy Harvester, or Upland 27 stove I think you would be more pleased with the operation and safety of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.