vogelzang coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toothless steve

Dec 15, 2005
Looking for information about company and if anyone owns the vg810cl which is the coal fired convection free standing space heater with a btu rating of 150,000 btu.or any info on the wood fired version the 820e hearthwood?

toothless steve said:
Looking for information about company and if anyone owns the vg810cl which is the coal fired convection free standing space heater with a btu rating of 150,000 btu.or any info on the wood fired version the 820e hearthwood?

Calling Elk, Fire on floor 3. Calling Elk.

I looked at a couple Vogelzang stoves yesterday, purely out of curiosity. THIN castings, poor fitting seams, cheap construction, limited air control are a few of the qualities of the company that come to mind.

I second Corie's post. Vogelzang stoves are cheap knockoffs. They usually are not rated for residential use. Coal burns quite hot. Do you really want to have a stove failure while this thing is going full tilt? Spend the extra cash now for a well-designed stove. It will pay itself off many times over in efficiency, easy of use, control and safety. Peace of mind and your family's lives are priceless.

The VG810 he is talking about is UL tested and approved by Warnock Hersey. What makes it less safe than other tested stoves?

I'm aware of that.

But i see it this way. If they manufacture their bottom of the line stoves to essential 0 quality, why would one court the illusion that any of their stoves are gems in the rough?

Certainly the W-H and UL certs say a great deal, don't get me wrong.

But look at this

Large capacity, aluminized steel firebox allows stove to accept up to 75 lbs. of coal.

Firebox is lined with firebrick to provide years of service. Heavy duty cast iron roller grates for easy ash and clinker removal. Cast iron feed door and ash door are "gasketed" to insure a good seal around doors.

The Sentry™ coal-burning circulator burns up to 7-9 hours on one load of fuel and generates up to 150,000 BTU / hour.

75 lbs of coal in 7-9 hours????

That says that the stove has basically zero air control, even if they say the doors are "gasketed". My stove holds 35 pounds of coal and burns for about 18 hours at the lowest setting. A russo that holds 55 pounds of coal is good for about 24 hours of burning. (These are personal examples)

They also include and require the installation of a stovepipe damper in their manual. Another mark of a high quality unit for certain. The manufacturer has so much confidence in their stove and it's air control function that they include an antique form of burn control. To my best knowledge you'd have a hard time finding any well known, high quality manufacturer recommending the installation of a manual stovepipe damper with their stove.

BrotherBart said:
The VG810 he is talking about is UL tested and approved by Warnock Hersey. What makes it less safe than other tested stoves?

That's a fair question. When I burned coal years ago, what impressed me was how much heat it generated and the risk of not having that heat under control. The VG810 didn't impress me as offering that degree of control. Also, I can't see the VG810 lasting very long under that kind of thermal stress. Granted, it may last a few years depending on use. After that one risks leakage and loss of control. That seems to make it a doubly bad investment. Last, when I see the caveat, May NOT be installed in mobile homes, manufactured homes, trailers or tents, I am a more than a little concerned about how well one can control this stove.

Ok they claim tested to UL standards NOTE They do not claim it passed the standard Then they list a reconised testing agency Warnock Hersey Again Did It pass If they went to all that effort, then why not seal the deal and get it listed by UL.
To me this is deceptive marketing. They admit that UL is the standard but also admit by ommission it is not UL approved. One begs to ask why? It did not pass. This is a blatant attempt to decieve potential purchsers. Even had many here buying into their deception.

This being so, how can anyone trust any of their claims of heat capacity or any thing else they claim? Just look at these boxes. Look at the castings then compare them to a decent stove. There is a reason they are cheap? Can't pass UL because o the lack of air and burn control. Note: no grams of emmission or effeciencies stated why? If you knew you would not be buying one of these poluting death boxes That 150,000 BTU claim, is that when the box heater is cherry red? IF your personal safety is a consideration, then I suggest you look elsewhere. If you are in my town, I will not issue a permit for one of these stoves. I know the dangers these stoves present and will not be a party to approving one

i myself wouldn't use anything that isn't solid cast iron or atleast 1/4" steele construction.Coal gets SUPER HOT esp if u can't control the air flow into it properly..My new harman magnum stoker isn't really big but just the fire box with shell weighs well over 500 lbs..I've overfired a solid cast iron coal stove once the ash door came open.When u see it glowing bright red and throwing a tremidios about of heat out it scares the chit out of ya..One of the reasons why i went to a stoker.I agree with elkimeg don't buy or use anything that isn't atleast ul listed. I'd rec staying with a well known name and a company with a good rep..Sure u might pay more but in the long run it's worth it..example when i called my insurance company and told them i installed a new coal stoker.They asked me how old was the unit and who made.told them it new and it was made by harman they told me no problem then..i had a rough time with them when i had the efel coal stove whcih was built good but was old and wasn't well known..

lime4x4 said:
i myself wouldn't use anything that isn't solid cast iron or atleast 1/4" steele construction.Coal gets SUPER HOT esp if u can't control the air flow into it properly..My new harman magnum stoker isn't really big but just the fire box with shell weighs well over 500 lbs..I've overfired a solid cast iron coal stove once the ash door came open.When u see it glowing bright red and throwing a tremidios about of heat out it scares the chit out of ya..One of the reasons why i went to a stoker.I agree with elkimeg don't buy or use anything that isn't atleast ul listed. I'd rec staying with a well known name and a company with a good rep..Sure u might pay more but in the long run it's worth it..example when i called my insurance company and told them i installed a new coal stoker.They asked me how old was the unit and who made.told them it new and it was made by harman they told me no problem then..i had a rough time with them when i had the efel coal stove whcih was built good but was old and wasn't well known..

Elk I don't care one way or the other if VZ stays in business or not, but you would have a real hard time failing the stove the OP asked about. It is EPA exempt, because it is a coal stove. From the safety perspective it IS a listed stove. As is the "EL" version of the leaky little box heater. Here is the record from the Warnock Hersey data base:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Solid Fuel Burning Heater, Model Nos. Boxwood "BX26EL"*, "BX42EL"*, VG 820 E, VG810CL, VG450EL, VG450ELG.

Solid Fuel Room Heater, Model No. VG650 ELG.

*Manufacturer's Designation

Evaluated to the following...
A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Solid Fuel Type Room Heaters (UL-1482) and are identified with the Warnock Hersey Listed Mark."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Solid Fuel Type Room Heaters (UL-1482) and are identified with the Warnock Hersey Listed Mark.”

I am not denying this info, but questioning why full certification is incomplete. It is one thing to test a sample. then to have the manufacturing process certified. This is a crap shoot, so you buy one of these listed stoves. How do you know if you bought the sample tested ? you don’t. The manufacturing process is not certified, no ISO nada. Again, this disclosure is nothing more than manufactures misleading the public into believing, all their stoves are WH certified. IT’s only a sampling till the manufacturing process is certified? Which it isn’t. What is said,but what is omitted you should be clarified. They admit the standard but do not carry certification. I stand on what I said earlier. It is not listed and labeled and tested. not bearing the industry approved standard UL, therefore, I do not have to issue a permit. BTW these stoves do not have the attached labels. Not the one’ I have failed and condemned.
I checked zip nada. Like I said, deceitful., Misleading, good enough to garner support on this forum, it looks that convincing.

I have model BX24E printed out in bold letters at the top half of the front page Exact reproduction
Note: this stove is
NOT a UL listed stove

Status
Not open for further replies.