Vogelzang V5790 Leaking gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JDavis

Jan 25, 2018
Michigan
Help! Stove is only 3 weeks old and glass is streaking with soot. Not sure if it glass or door gasket? Both?

Attachments

• 1516925545460243482858.jpg
    1516925545460243482858.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 174
Maybe somebody will chime in here. If not I'd call the 800 number and try to talk to a human... Is it burning OK otherwise ?

How long does it run to get the glass the way it is in the pic? You will get a certain amount of ash and soot on the glass, give the stove a good clean out pot, passages to the fan, heat exchange tubes, maybe try a diff brand of pellets.

Reactions: tlc1976
Mine is the smaller version of that stove. It doesn't actually soot up, just fills with ash. In about a day. Kirtland pellets would fill it totally opaque. Pro pellets would leave at least translucent.

Yours looks like black soot coming in from the edges, looks like it's leaking air. My door handle is a straight threaded bar through a hole in the door. Maybe yours is the same. If you open the door and rotate the handle fully once before reclosing it, you might be able to compress the seals a little more. Just don't force it if it won't go. Seems I had to do that with mine, I could tell immediately by feel of the door, there was noticeable play between the gasket and stove front.

Also the burn pot should be keeping a few burning pellets, so new ones can ignite, and there is always airflow through the bottom of the burn pot. And overall maintaining this rate. If you're building up a bed of junk in the pot, then you need more air. (Clean the pipe and passages and ash cleanouts first, as a dirty stove will affect your airflow setting.) Get the air set and you'll probably get a little more heat and maybe even be able to turn down a heat range. You want enough air for a good flame and to keep the pot self cleaning, but not so much that you prematurely blow out burning pellets and blow the fire out. Probably cause excessive clinker too.

What pellets are you burning? I found Kirtlands to be finicky this way. I had to turn the air down below optimal to maintain fire.

Reactions: Ssyko