Vogelzang VG5790 smokes after shut off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Muttnick57

Jan 11, 2023
Sunrise2022!
First time here, so hope I'm doing this right in the right forum. I don't see any discussion about my particular issue. We have a Vogelzang VG5790. This stove runs great . No complaints EXCEPT often, after turning it off, pellets that have bounced out of the pot into the ash pit keep burning causing quite a bit of smoke in the house. I'm not sure, but don't think, this is dangerous and it will eventually burn itself out. Right now when it happens we spray the hot pellets with water and vacuum the next day when it's cool. Any comments and/or suggestions on how to avoid this?

Some suggestions.

I assume you don’t have an outside air kit? If you do, then any residual smoke after shutoff would go outside instead of back into the house. This would also be the case in a power outage. There are many advantages to an outside air kit, it is discussed in here often. That’s what I would do.

Apparently many people with the 5790 stove have an issue with pellets missing the pot. There is an add on called a Klinker King that helps to keep pellets from missing the pot. Maybe they wouldn’t smolder as much if they are contained to the pot.

Some suggestions.

I assume you don’t have an outside air kit? If you do, then any residual smoke after shutoff would go outside instead of back into the house. This would also be the case in a power outage. There are many advantages to an outside air kit, it is discussed in here often. That’s what I would do.

Apparently many people with the 5790 stove have an issue with pellets missing the pot. There is an add on called a Klinker King that helps to keep pellets from missing the pot. Maybe they wouldn’t smolder as much if they are contained to the pot.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I'll look into both of these.