VOLUME of Outside Air (OAK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VintageGal

Mar 25, 2022
NorCal
Convinced my installer to use my fireplace ash dump for outside air.

I reasoned that even if the Quad 1200 insert pulls (sic) half it's combustion air from outside, it will reduce the potential drafts in my house.

The ash pit is roughly 4 ft wide, 6 feet deep --and yesterday I filled the bottom with 12 inches of clean-crushed gravel 'cause it was a little ugly down there but not too bad. Threw some sage and rosemary in for good measure and new energy. Painted the firebox, etc

The ash pit is enclosed space, made of cinder block foundation for the firebox above.

Anyway! He said he'd vent a 2" hose of some kind, make sure it was sealed at the floor --and of course chimney crown also.

But the thing is .... he doesn't want to vent it all the way outside. He wants the hose to dangle down into the ash pit (coffin-like space) --and then drill a few holes in the clean out door ... How many holes, I ask?

He said I'm overthinking all this! Im just trying to keep myself warm!

How Much Air does a pellet stove need for efficient combustion?!

Peace and thank you ✌️

Last edited:
That's a good question! My oak is only a 2.5-inch pipe and the flame adjustment plate
is set at about 3/4 closed. That gives me the best flame and heat
No idea how much air that is. So I guess that is a .625 opening or 5/8 of an inch opening
doesn't seem like much, maybe my math is off.
I would drill about 6 1/2 in. holes more than you will need

Reactions: VintageGal
That's a good question! My oak is only a 2.5-inch pipe and the flame adjustment plate
is set at about 3/4 closed. That gives me the best flame and heat
No idea how much air that is. So I guess that is a .625 opening or 5/8 of an inch opening
doesn't seem like much, maybe my math is off.
I would drill about 6 1/2 in. holes more than you will need
My first pellet stove was an Enviro ef2i. That does have an air intake adjustment. I didn't know at the time that I could have vented it outside. Oh well that was a 27-year-old unit and I still have it but I need something under warranty because I'm getting older...

My understanding is that quadra Fire is a little more sloppy about their air intake.

I thought it was a good question lol.

He wants to drill 4, 1/4" holes --so that's close to your estimate. I guess I can always drill more 😁

The air will move in faster thru those holes with the more the stove tries to pull. So, in a way you are overthinking it. But, it is always good to question. Too few holes and the volume of air needed couldn't be suppported (e3ven at the faster draw rate). But it is not neccessarily advantagious to have too many either. As you said, if for some reason the stove struggles with air flow, you can drill more holes.

My harman P61A has about 10 holes horizonal in the OAK vent. I thought it was a bit overkill so put piece of cardboard in the vent blocking 5 of the holes. Flame never changed but pellet consumption dropped a bit so good call me. Always thought too much air coming in by looking at the amount of flyash blowin around out of the burnpot.Outside Air comes in under the burnpot .

My harman P61A has about 10 holes horizonal in the OAK vent. I thought it was a bit overkill so put piece of cardboard in the vent blocking 5 of the holes. Flame never changed but pellet consumption dropped a bit so good call me. Always thought too much air coming in by looking at the amount of flyash blowin around out of the burnpot.Outside Air comes in under the burnpot .
Good call, you! Our lives depend on these machines to work at their optimum. This requires some genuine intimacy with our stoves! My quadrafire should be installed in a week or two. I'm hoping it all works out!

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray