VT wood stove changeout and other State/Fed news....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
From our industry newsletter - these portions may be of interest to the general public:

Vermont Wood Stove Changeout
NEHPBA and HPBA are planning for the Vermont changeout. The Rutland area Phase I will begin this year and Phase II, covering the entire state, is tentatively slated for Mar./Apr. 2008.

Washington/Oregon News
The Washington State Department of Ecology Task Force on Woodburning held its first meeting on June 27 in Seattle. The task force will develop a report for the legislature by Dec. 1 to identify new ideas and strategies for reducing wood smoke. In Oregon, the groundbreaking "Heat Smart" bill is still alive and would establish the first statewide fund for change-outs. It also requires the removal of old wood stoves and inserts upon sale of a house.

Legislative Update- Federal
A comprehensive energy bill that passed the Senate June 21 includes numerous incentives to increase energy efficiency, a major focus of this Congress. The energy tax incentives portion of the original bill, including a tax credit for the purchase of biomass residential appliances, was not part of this bill. The House will begin debating their bill soon. Once passed, members from the House and Senate will reconcile the bill differences.

Fireplace Industry Trade Show:
http://www.hpbexpo.com/
Feb 27- March 1 - Atlanta, GA (this is industry only).

Washington/Oregon News
The Washington State Department of Ecology Task Force on Woodburning held its first meeting on June 27 in Seattle. The task force will develop a report for the legislature by Dec. 1 to identify new ideas and strategies for reducing wood smoke. In Oregon, the groundbreaking “Heat Smart” bill is still alive and would establish the first statewide fund for change-outs. It also requires the removal of old wood stoves and inserts upon sale of a house.

I'm not sure if I like this idea. I am more fond of a direct tax rebate for people who install a wood stove/insert to replace an aging one. I don't like to see taxpayer dollars spent for items like this. Make incentive on the person actually paying taxes and the heat bill.

TMonter said:
Washington/Oregon News
The Washington State Department of Ecology Task Force on Woodburning held its first meeting on June 27 in Seattle. The task force will develop a report for the legislature by Dec. 1 to identify new ideas and strategies for reducing wood smoke. In Oregon, the groundbreaking “Heat Smart” bill is still alive and would establish the first statewide fund for change-outs. It also requires the removal of old wood stoves and inserts upon sale of a house.

I'm not sure if I like this idea. I am more fond of a direct tax rebate for people who install a wood stove/insert to replace an aging one. I don't like to see taxpayer dollars spent for items like this. Make incentive on the person actually paying taxes and the heat bill.

Absolutely agree, I don't think it is EVER proper to take money from one taxpayer and give it to another for any reason. A tax credit or rebate might be acceptable.

I'm also opposed to the gov't requiring removal of old stoves / inserts when selling a house - This is IMHO a "taking" in violation of the 5th ammendment...

Gooserider

Webmaster said:
From our industry newsletter - these portions may be of interest to the general public:

In Oregon, the groundbreaking "Heat Smart" bill is still alive and would establish the first statewide fund for change-outs. It also requires the removal of old wood stoves and inserts upon sale of a house.

In Oregon, the "Heat Smart" bill, Senate Bill 338, *died* in committee when the state legislature 2007 session adjourned June 28,2007.

Builderbob

I forgot to add, the Heat Smart bill had received a "do pass" recommendation from the legislative work groups. But apparently, this bill was not high enough priority to get out of committee before the legislature adjourned.

Given the "do pass" work group recommendation, perhaps it will rear its head again in the 2008 legislative special session which will be called in January 2008.

Builderbob

Status
Not open for further replies.