Waiting game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
Sitting in my deer stand waiting on deer admiring my wood waiting to be dried. And my wood that needs split. Don't mind the snow ravaged green house .

20201203_143124.jpg

Lol...I knew it was legal and hope you didn't think I was insinuating you were illegal. Just jealous cause you can't hunt within 400 yards of any bait in missouri and has to be gone for ten days before you can hunt a spot that had it. I have a neighbor that has a boss feeder full of corn right on the other side of the fence of a 18 acre lot I own. I would essentially be hunting illegally if I hunted anywhere on my own property. What a bunch of crap i think.

Lol...I knew it was legal and hope you didn't think I was insinuating you were illegal. Just jealous cause you can't hunt within 400 yards of any bait in missouri and has to be gone for ten days before you can hunt a spot that had it. I have a neighbor that has a boss feeder full of corn right on the other side of the fence of a 18 acre lot I own. I would essentially be hunting illegally if I hunted anywhere on my own property. What a bunch of crap i think.
[/QUOTE

Not at all just have to state the obvious ... i get mote squirrels bluejays and rabbits eating the corn than deer camera gets filled with them and no deer.
You guys get to hunt with big boy guns though don't you? we are limited to slugs and straight walls

Not at all just have to state the obvious ... i get mote squirrels bluejays and rabbits eating the corn than deer camera gets filled with them and no deer.
You guys get to hunt with big boy guns though don't you? we are limited to slugs and straight walls

Yea we have a 10 day rifle season from Nov 14-24. You can kill one buck and doe. This weekend is doe season only. Then December 24-28 is what they call "alternative season". You can use black powder, pistol, basically anything but a rifle or shotgun. What's the reasoning of no rifle use in Ohio. Iowa, I know, is that way also and I always assumed it was because it was so open with not much timber to stop a misguided bullet but was never sure. I've been through southern
Ohio and the best i remember it was pretty wooded. Pretty country too.

Reactions: awicherr

Yea we have a 10 day rifle season from Nov 14-24. You can kill one buck and doe. This weekend is doe season only. Then December 24-28 is what they call "alternative season". You can use black powder, pistol, basically anything but a rifle or shotgun. What's the reasoning of no rifle use in Ohio. Iowa, I know, is that way also and I always assumed it was because it was so open with not much timber to stop a misguided bullet but was never sure. I've been through southern
Ohio and the best i remember it was pretty wooded. Pretty country too.
Southern ohio is amazing! Lots of hills timber and creeks. Not sure their reasoning on slug and straight wall only they say its due to population density but i prettty sure i would rather someone shooting a 243 than a 12 ga in our brushy woods

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I hear that!
I guess there are give and takes ‍♂️ i can shoot a coyote or groundhog hog with a 308 and its all legal‍♂️‍♂️ but deer season i am pretty much maxed at a hundred yards! We only get a 7 day gun season... probably doesn't help. Come monday all my stuff will be packed away and splitting and stacking will be my past time

Oooh coyote hunting. Missouri did just legalize night time hunting and night vision for coyotes. Talk about fun...that will be my next toy. Yea I plan on trying to fill my doe tag this weekend and after that it's pretty well over. When I was a kid deer season was two weeks long. It seems every 5 years they make it shorter and shorter. Then it will be squirell hunting and wood cutting time for me.

Oooh coyote hunting. Missouri did just legalize night time hunting and night vision for coyotes. Talk about fun...that will be my next toy. Yea I plan on trying to fill my doe tag this weekend and after that it's pretty well over. When I was a kid deer season was two weeks long. It seems every 5 years they make it shorter and shorter. Then it will be squirell hunting and wood cutting time for me.
Hunt them dogs hard!!! Good luck this weekend!

What defines baiting? If I spread 5bu of corn in a pile - well yah. How about 5bu on the gardens as "cover crop". Or 5bu on 1/4 acre "here or there". And what about the nieghbor here with his bunk feeders also. It's zone a3, meaning argricultural, with minor stipulations. Just curious, I don't hunt anymore.

Last edited:
What defines baiting? If I spread 5bu of corn in a pile - well yah. How about 5bu on the gardens as "cover crop". Or 5bu on 1/4 acre "here or there". And what about the nieghbor here with his bunk feeders also. It's zone a3, meaning argricultural, with minor stipulations. Just curious, I don't hunt anymore.

Good link for Missouri's baiting law. Basically you can't hunt over piled or spread grain in a manner to attract deer or turkey. This includes mineral blocks that have grain in them. You can hunt over standing corn fields or combined grain fields though. I did read that the law is in place to help limit chronic wasting disease. ....and in sport of fair chase. Kinda social distancing for deer I guess.

Here is a link to wisconsin baiting laws. Looking at the map....Jefferson county is a prohibited county.

Wisconsin's regular gun season just ended Sunday. Muzzleloaoder is going right now (along with bow). We used to have "shotgun only" zones, but now it is dictated by township ordinance whether rifles are allowed or not. Baiting is regulated by county.

Son finally got his first this year - small 8 point opening morning. Then the next day I finished off a gut shot one that laid down 150 yards from where it was shot and they never even attempted to trail it. Season over. Still have tags but no more freezer room. Venison Wellington from backstraps & tenderloins, marinated steaks, summer sausage, cheddar hot sticks, Packer brats (jalepeno & cheddar)....mmmmmmm!

Good link for Missouri's baiting law. Basically you can't hunt over piled or spread grain in a manner to attract deer or turkey. This includes mineral blocks that have grain in them. You can hunt over standing corn fields or combined grain fields though. I did read that the law is in place to help limit chronic wasting disease. ....and in sport of fair chase. Kinda social distancing for deer I guess.

Here is a link to wisconsin baiting laws. Looking at the map....Jefferson county is a prohibited county.
I looked over the Jefferson co link. Sounds somewhat vague and open to interpretation. Things like "normal ag practices" etc. I remember stopping in at the local DNR station, and asking for a warden on duty. I asked about poaching, of all things, only because someone had been feeding us a line and trying to justify questionable behaviour. Ends up he wouldn't answer. Basic questions. What I got out of it is that some of it's open to interpretation, and litigation.

I looked over the Jefferson co link. Sounds somewhat vague and open to interpretation. Things like "normal ag practices" etc. I remember stopping in at the local DNR station, and asking for a warden on duty. I asked about poaching, of all things, only because someone had been feeding us a line and trying to justify questionable behaviour. Ends up he wouldn't answer. Basic questions. What I got out of it is that some of it's open to interpretation, and litigation.

Yeah I skimmed through it before I posted the link. I will say that at a glance....wisconsins baiting laws are quite a bit more complex than Missouri's. Here its cut and dry no baiting. I read in the wisconsin regulations that it was prohibited in some counties and not in others.....and as you said open to interpretation. I have found that the best a person can do is stay current with all hunting regulations and hunt with the best intentions. The laws change so often you really have to check them every year here and the most law abiding person has at some point or will be illegal. Fishing limits tend to be the worst.

I by no means am trying to bash conservation. In the end they are a neccessity.....and pretty good here. I just don't agree with some of their philosophy.

Wisconsin's regular gun season just ended Sunday. Muzzleloaoder is going right now (along with bow). We used to have "shotgun only" zones, but now it is dictated by township ordinance whether rifles are allowed or not. Baiting is regulated by county.

Son finally got his first this year - small 8 point opening morning. Then the next day I finished off a gut shot one that laid down 150 yards from where it was shot and they never even attempted to trail it. Season over. Still have tags but no more freezer room. Venison Wellington from backstraps & tenderloins, marinated steaks, summer sausage, cheddar hot sticks, Packer brats (jalepeno & cheddar)....mmmmmmm!

Nothing like the kiddos first deer. My oldest daughter got her first deer.....a doe.....a few weeks back. She was so excited she was shaking like a leaf on a tree. It was pretty funny really. While I was gutting it a bunch of turkey's flew from the next ridge over and roosted right above us in the tree tops. When they seen us they flew off and all started clucking after they landed to regroup. She was amazed. Good memories.

Nothing like a day in the woods! Although the older I get the colder I get... I've had some really cool experiences out bowhunting. Once the younger son gets out of school I'll take it back up again.

Nothing like a day in the woods! Although the older I get the colder I get... I've had some really cool experiences out bowhunting. Once the younger son gets out of school I'll take it back up again.

Agreed. Hard to beat bowhunting.

Reactions: NickW