Walkway Path Edging Tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm having both my front and rear cement walkways scratch coated and colored. What is the easiest way to edge the grass border. I tried a 2" air gap, but tree seeds and weeds grow in there. I'd like a clean border with no gap, but I can't find the tool to do it.

I use my string trimmer turned upright, once you get good you can keep a 1/2-3/4 gap, looks nice. I do all the concrete and pavers that way.

I use my string trimmer turned upright, once you get good you can keep a 1/2-3/4 gap, looks nice. I do all the concrete and pavers that way.
Oh, I have had bad luck with trimmers, can you recommend a dependable, easy to load model? I have a JD model now that's crap.

I run redmax equipment, commercial quality, not bad priced. If I remember correctly 249 for the trimmer. easily loads line. Echo from HD is supposed to be very good also.

I have a straight shaft Echo trimmer and I use that to edge my paver walkway.. It is crazy powerful. Need a face shield when using it.

+1 on a line trimmer.
Check out the new rechargeable electrics. They're pretty impressive. Echo makes a nice one.
Personally, I avoid 2-stroke trimmers. I hate the stink and the oil mixing. I use a 4-stroke Honda unit for the really heavy stuff and the rechargeable for lighter use.
I install this head on any larger trimmers I use. http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Speed-Feed.aspx I l always hated reloading the line on other heads but this thing makes it easy.

I always wondered what the difference between straight and curved trimmers.

I have the Echo SRM-266T straight shaft trimmer. Straight shaft is a little burlier than the curved ones, and also more efficient.

Echo trimmers also come stock with the speed load head. Takes all of 30 seconds to load. Really can't be any easier.

I also use mine to edge the sidewalk, but if you want a nice clean edge, nothing beats an edger.

I have the Echo SRM-266T straight shaft trimmer. Straight shaft is a little burlier than the curved ones, and also more efficient.

Echo trimmers also come stock with the speed load head. Takes all of 30 seconds to load. Really can't be any easier.

I also use mine to edge the sidewalk, but if you want a nice clean edge, nothing beats an edger.
You mean this:
uploadfromtaptalk1436441409028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess to use a BD electric edger...it actually did a decent job. Last year we got one of those mantis tillers to till the Mrs. Veggie garden andit came with an edging blade.. Not as cheap as a trimmer but very effective.

Ended up picking up the echo model specified earlier cause I had a guy coming to scratch coat my walkways and needed the edging done. I got say, one you see how easy the line replacement is, I'm sold. You don't even need to take the end part off. But you need a more than half a tank or the motor dies from having the unit tilted that long.

i just do mine with my husquevarna string trimmer. does a decent job. It seems to go through a lot of string when doing this. i re edge one a month or so. As long as its not too overgrown its easy. Wear eye protection doing this. It kicks up a lot of small stuff right into your eyes. I learned the hard way. 5 times. a scratched cornea is not fun at all.

I always wondered what the difference between straight and curved trimmers.
Curved trimmers have no gear box at trimmer head, since flex shaft is direct drive to back of spool. Both have similar hp to head, as the flex shaft and gearbox have similar losses.

If you like tipping your trimmer sideways for edging, then a straight shaft is the way to go. If you're just doing straight trimming, then some find the curved more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.