Wall above fireplace gets black soot. How to prevent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hi
A friend has a fireplace (Maybe a heatilator type) with metal blocking plate and nice round easy to open flue damper gets black soot on the walls!

There is also a Harman P61a pellet stove in the next room blowing the heat around but it has an OAK and not much black on the walls above that.

These are cathedral ceilings and the black is close to the ceiling but on the walls and some black on the ceiling.
What is the vent in the wall above the fireplace for? There is one on the other side too?
What can cause that? Any suggestions what to do?
See pics

Attachments

• IMG_9478.JPG
    IMG_9478.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_9479.JPG
    IMG_9479.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMG_9480.JPG
    IMG_9480.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,999
  • IMG_9481.JPG
    IMG_9481.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,213
The sooting immediately above the fireplace opening is a sign of poor drafting of the wood fire. Could be trees or another building or some feature of THIS building causing the wind to affect the draft. Maybe the chimney pipe is too short. Do you have pix of the outside?

It's a really strange soot pattern though. Something strange is going on here.

Does he see smoke actually exiting the fireplace? See smoke, smell smoke?

If those vents are back to back, then the idea was to pull heat from one room to the other. That won't do any good at all. It will likely have adverse affects on an open fireplace. It could be pulling smoke out of the fireplace and transferring it throughout the house.

My guess....its dirt,dust not soot. Caused by heat transfer through drywall. A thicker coat of latex paint may stop the flow. Check out "stud ghosting"....often in a garage. No vapour barrier is causing the affect.

Too strange to be airflow, maybe.

You may be seeing the results of someone cleaning the wall with a swiffer-type spongestick.
No, typically it's referred to as ghosting. Where the studs, joists, and rafters are all highlighted with a black or dark streak. It's uncommon to be directly around a fireplace, except a vent free gas fireplace. It will happen On a ceiling where the attic insulation is insufficient. Not so much on the walls though. Directly above the fireplace would make sense, but not all over like that..

My guess....its dirt,dust not soot. Caused by heat transfer through drywall. A thicker coat of latex paint may stop the flow. Check out "stud ghosting"....often in a garage. No vapour barrier is causing the affect.
If the the room behind the fireplace was unconditioned I would agree, not if it's conditioned living space though.

If the the room behind the fireplace was unconditioned I would agree, not if it's conditioned living space though.
With the fireplace stack in the wall cavity like that, is what has me wondering? Dirt being collected on the studs due to mass heat in entire cavity that is slowed at the studs.?

To the op, have your friend monitor the wall temperature. I'm thinking there is a large amount heat being trapped in the wall cavity?

Is there any chance there is a lot of candles/potpourri being burned in the house?

To the op, have your friend monitor the wall temperature. I'm thinking there is a large amount heat being trapped in the wall cavity?
Could be, if so, something is wrong with construction of the fireplace.

Has the flue been inspected? It's possible the that there is a big problem with the chimney, like it's disconnected inside the wall.

No, typically it's referred to as ghosting. Where the studs, joists, and rafters are all highlighted with a black or dark streak. It's uncommon to be directly around a fireplace, except a vent free gas fireplace. It will happen On a ceiling where the attic insulation is insufficient. Not so much on the walls though. Directly above the fireplace would make sense, but not all over like that..

Mmm, look at the ceiling and see if you still think so? Unless he has 12" on center rafters, maybe.

Too strange to be airflow, maybe.

You may be seeing the results of someone cleaning the wall with a swiffer-type spongestick.
Definitely soot in the air, because it killed this fan that was on top the pellet stove!
See soot on fan blade pics

Attachments

• IMG_9500.JPG
    IMG_9500.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_9501.JPG
    IMG_9501.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9502.JPG
    IMG_9502.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
How does the pellet stove vent? I'm guessing that fan has something to do with this entire situation.

How does the pellet stove vent? I'm guessing that fan has something to do with this entire situation.
pellet stove goes up 1 foot and out. Also has an OAK so no smoke will come out of the air inlet pipe if there is any back draft!

pellet stove goes up 1 foot and out. Also has an OAK so no smoke will come out of the air inlet pipe if there is any back draft!
Yes, but that fan can certainly pull smoke and soot out of the system and distribute it throughout the house. Same goes with the fireplace. Disturbing the air can and often will disturb draft as well.

Why not get rid of the pellet stove, put a real stove either in front of that fireplace or an insert. Get some real heat going in that place!

Is there a furnace either oil or gas heating the house also? That looks allot more like oil or gas soot than wood soot.

And webby that certainly looks like a zero clearance fireplace which means in most cases an insert is out.